1 of 28 1981 OLDS HOLIDAY 88 pictures

Guest Holiday88

A 350 may be easier to find than a 403, simply because it was produced longer (1968-80). I think you will find either a great improvement over the 307 and the untrained eye will never know the difference. Both engines respond fairly well to the CCC system too, and if you keep all its components you might be surprised at what kind of gas mileage they can get once the system learns the new engine.

I like the 403's too. Had one in a Trans Am and one in a 77 Olds 98. Joe P, correct me if I am wrong but I think Mondello's supports the 403 (and the 350) with internal hp parts and stock parts. I thought a 403 was an Olds 350 bored and stroked but I may be wrong.

I like the 403's too. Had one in a Trans Am and one in a 77 Olds 98. Joe P, correct me if I am wrong but I think Mondello's supports the 403 (and the 350) with internal hp parts and stock parts. I thought a 403 was an Olds 350 bored and stroked but I may be wrong.

The 403 is an Old small block with the same architecture as all other Olds small blocks. The only difference between an Olds 350 and an Olds 403 is the bore (4.057" vs. 4.351"). All Olds small blocks, from the boat anchor 260 to the 403, use the same 3.385" stroke. The 403 uses a unique block with siamesed cylinders (just like the Chevy 400 block) to make room for the larger bore diameter within the same bore spacing architecture. Interesting trivia point is that the 403 has the largest bore of any Olds motor ever made. The 455 only has a 4.125" bore.