'65 exhaust

RIVNIK

Greetings! Some time ago I bought an aluminized exhaust system for my '65 on Ebay from a long time Ebay dealer with 99% pos. feedback. It sat in the box for a long time before I finally got around to having it installed. It was not a perfect fit but my local shop was able to make it work. The odd thing was that the pipes were the same diameter as stock till you get to the rearmost pipes

which were of a smaller diameter. Unfortunately, they were already installed when I found out, so I can't really box them up and pay $60 to send them back. Does anyone think this will affect performance noticeably ? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks for any advice, Drew

Thanks,RivNut!! Why didn't I know that? My previous system appeared to be stock but must have been modified at some time, because as far as I know the tailpipes were of the same dia. as the rest.( I had some chrome tips that are too big for the new pipes ) Previous owner must have thought smaller tailpipes created too much restriction. Is there a reason for smaller dia. tailpipes from a performance or engineering viewpoint? Thanks!!Drew

I don't know why other than the temp of the exhaust might be cooler and more condensed so it doesn't need the larger pipe after the muffler. More of Raner's Random thoughts, never cast in stone. Gran Sport pipes were larger from the factory. WAG* that the previous owner may have put the Gran Sport tail pipes on behind the muffler. Either way it should work okay for you.

Ed

* Wild A$$ed Guess

The smaller tailpipe helps quiet the exhaust. Larger diameter tend to echo and amplify the tone. I had a full 3" system on a Z-28 once. It was called American Thunder. It fit the description well.

For normal driving the only difference you would feel is in testosterone. Sold the Camaro; didn't need more testosterone and the car was too loud. Shopped around for a twin turbo Bentley for a while and then went back to Buicks.

Bernie

I found this quote on a site where the author was talking about maintaining exhaust velocity.

"It may not seem as "normal" as if they just made it the same size, but it's probably a negligible effect in the Big Picture. You have to account for the exhaust gas contracting a bit as it loses heat the farther it goes down the pipe. By time it gets to the tips, it occupies less volume than when it came out of the engine. So the size reduction is actually a measure to maintain exhaust velocity to the very end of the pipe, which is typically a good thing for exhaust performance."

That's why.

Ed