Mystery Trunk Lid Part

packick

post-72478-14314174234_thumb.jpg

Greetings All:

On the trunk lid of my 55 Century (66R) is a piece that I can't identify. I have provided two pictures of it. There is one on each side of the trunk lid near the bumper stop, but on the edge of the lid itself. It is held on by two screws. It looks like it is made of rubber but none of the suppliers offer this piece for a 1955. Steele offers a piece that looks like this but it's only for 1937-1940 Buicks (50-0163-87). Their cost is around $45 so I don't want to buy it unless it is correct for a 1955. Any help would be appreciated.

post-72478-143141742335_thumb.jpg

I knew exactly what part you were asking about in your title before even reading your question.

What I did, since it isn't visible (and frankly not necessary) , is bead blasted it, painted it with silver paint, or just clear lacquer, then dunk just the edge in "Plasti-Dip". Looks great.

My thoughts were they are a positive stop for the trunk lid. The latch kept it from going up and the two stops kept it from over compressing the seal. Properly adjusted the lock and the stops maintained the lid margins...............Bob

I checked my 55 buick and 55 Olds. the trunk lids are identical other holes for differing trim. On the Buick I used the original cores and glued a piece of "U" rubber on the edge with weather strip adhesive. It looks fine. On the Olds I have a pair of repro stops. They look VERY well done. I was correct when I said there are repros available. My guess is I got them from Fusick since they look so well done..........Bob

If I found the right part in Fusick's '55 Oldsmobile catalog, they say it is an adjustment piece. So Bob's theory on preventing over-compressing the seal may be right on. If the trunk lids are identical, then I may just order a pair from them. Thanks for all of the help.