Rocker Arm shaft oil screen?

414TATA

A follow up on my original post

Thanks to all for the responses

Had the oil changed today and as it turns out I did have a screen and it was very plugged.

Mechanic first said he did not find one, then his helper came in with the little rascal in his hand.

Even with the good photo posted here, the screen was much smaller than I expected.

An extra THANK YOU to Straight Eight for posting the page from the manual and to Dynaflash8 for the advice to throw that filter as far as I could.:)

Wayne

1941 Super 51

A survivor with 26,700 miles

Guest Straight eight
I managed to pick myself up a copy of that "Service Training Manual" as above. I wonder what other little gems will be in there that aren't in the Workshop Manual :)

Danny

I just got to thinking that throwing away that poor little filter may not be the way to go. Because just up stream from the screen is a restrictive orfice which reduces the pressure and oil volume to the rockers thus controlling oil consumption. If the screen is thrown away, the orifce will plug up next, and all the orffices in the rocker arms will follow.

Now look at the mess, and just because the innocent little screen was thrown away. I would think it is much easier to clean one screen than the whole system.The engineers kinda gave us a save work feature with that little screen.

just my 2 Cents

Edited by Straight eight (see edit history)

Wayne,

I would tend to agree with strt 8, regarding that screen. Don't throw it away, just clean and reinstall.

Do you have a bypass filter on your '41 ? If not, they are so easy to find and install, I would persue that.....

Even though my '40 has a bypass filter, the 1/16" metering hole (inside the valve cover) was partially pluged.

So thanks to this thread, I now know where it is and I can address that issue at each oil change.

If you only have the screen, and it is located outside the cover, you only need to pop the line off, squirt some carb cleaner through it and slip it back in. Not a big deal........

Mike in Colorao