Importing to Norway problem

Guest Seans1941

Guest Seans1941

I have sold a pre-war Buick to an individual in Norway, having import issues.

The car came to Calif. in the very early 70’s. At that time a VIN was assigned but somehow was removed / lost presumably during a repaint which took place in 1974, 1 year after my father bought the car. This was never an issue -never even known!- until the import process began in December 2012. That is when it was realized the VIN on title was nowhere to be found on the car. The option was to have a new VIN assigned by the Highway Patrol, with the DMV issuing a “new” title. Believing this would solve the matter, copies of all paperwork was sent to the Norwegian Government for approval; this was denied.

We are now being told the assigned VIN is not acceptable, as this does not match any manufacturer number on the car. Therefore, verification of the frame belonging to the car is required. The serial number may, or may not be located on the radiator support horn. If there, the stamping may be so faint prohibiting being photographed, even when partially disassembled. The importing country has not stated if they will need to again disassemble the car to confirm.

Suggestions from those with experience in this, or a similar issue will be greatly appreciated.

Sean

The number on my '39 is stamped into the chassis but I only found out it was there after it had been sandblasted and even then it was a bad stamping. I can't exactly recall where it was now but I vaguely remember thinking why put it there if you can't see it when the body is on.

If the original tag isn't there the 2 holes will still be in the chassis. Maybe get an aluminium plate stamped with a number that fits what they want and just rivet it to the chassis. Someone here may even have an original tag. Might just be enough to keep some bored public servant happy.

Good luck with it mate.

Danny

I have sold a pre-war Buick to an individual in Norway, having import issues.

The car came to Calif. in the very early 70’s. At that time a VIN was assigned but somehow was removed / lost presumably during a repaint which took place in 1974, 1 year after my father bought the car. This was never an issue -never even known!- until the import process began in December 2012. That is when it was realized the VIN on title was nowhere to be found on the car. The option was to have a new VIN assigned by the Highway Patrol, with the DMV issuing a “new” title. Believing this would solve the matter, copies of all paperwork was sent to the Norwegian Government for approval; this was denied.

Suggestions from those with experience in this, or a similar issue will be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Sean,

VIN numbers are legally required to never be removed.

In my opinion, you need to cancel the transaction and refund the Buyers'

money if the express conditions of the sale included the export of the car

outside the States.

Jim

Ask the same question in the Pre WWII Forum and somebody with a 41 Buick will help you. In the early 30's the plate was on the right front frame rail, but on 41 only a 41 Buick guy knows for sure.

The '41 Buick should have a frame number stamped on the passenger's side down near the battery tray. YOu will more than likely have to dig through the crud and maybe even sand off the paint in that area. It will be on the top of the frame rail, but since the stamping process was haphazard at best, you may have to hunt for it. It will NOT match the engine or body number, nor the serial number tag on the firewall (if it's still there).

Good luck, but being in this business, I think I'd do the right thing and refund the guy's money until you can get it straightened out. He's going to have a hell of a time importing it into Norway without all the numbers matching up. We are gearing up to send a rodded '50 Merc to Norway, and we had to make sure EVERYTHING was in order. Customs and European countries in particular seem to be picky. It also sounds like the buyer didn't do his homework about importing a car, and he's in for some headaches, too. But the right thing to do is to explain what happened and offer him his money back and see what he says.

Hope this helps.