Touchy Topic of The Two Tone

Paul Falabella

Suppose someone was factory ordering a 55 Roadmaster 4dr sedan in 1955. If he were to select a two paint job in,say black and another color,where would the second color be? The roof above the gutters? The roof with the door tops and rear glass surround? Either or?

And what about below the sweep spear? What were the choices?

Hypothetically of course.

Thanks

Jeezoflips. Something is going on with the server. Let me try this again...

On a two or four door sedan, the (outer) raingutter is roof color. The only exception is on the wagon where the roof color extends down to the top of the doors since there isn't a clean division line at the back. That looks weird to me.

The sweep spear would divide any lower color chosen. I personally prefer a two tone with roof and below spear the same color. Click on my name and check out the pictures of a two tone sandwich. That shows the proper division.

Two tone Buicks are the only way to go!!!

Hypothetically speaking.

Roof needs to be done.I like that sandwich look. I would get the roof done first since it needs it. Thinking of Nile green, a late 55 and 56 color, which I think was the color of the interior before it was partially resprayed. Lotsa two tones on my street in the Bronx,always liked them especially a tan and burgundy 56 down the street.

Looks like the windshield reveal moulding removes with screws from below? How about rear glass reveal, clips? Screws from inside?

OK here is more confusion. I just looked at my 55 brochure and it shows a Roadmaster 72(white over green) and a Super 52(white over red). Both pictures show the roof color into the upper doors and around the back glass. The Century and Special upper colors are above the gutter on sedans(in brochure). In pictures I have seen both methods of two toning. Anyone know the answer to this sleep depriving conundrum? Or I might have to stick with AAA.

I see what you mean on the Plymouth. The Buick 52 & 72 sedans have that moulding just below the top of the door that goes around the back window and I have seen two tone vehicles with the upper color both ways. I actually prefer the "around the back window" look. post-54093-143141724195_thumb.jpgNote the 48 star flag!

Edited by Paul Falabella (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

PAUL, thanks for the nice big picture of your magnificent [in black] Roadmaster. I notice they were still using a trunk-mounted A/C evaporator in '55, as evidenced by the scoops on the rear quarters and the clear plastic ducts in the back window. Anyone here know if it was still done that way in '56? Buick had gone to the now-conventional firewall mounting by '57.

48 stars? That's sad. Who dropped out? =>:^]

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Not to beat a dead horse. Both of these cars are for sale on ebay.I borrowed a picture. The two tone is what is shown in the 55 brochure with the upper secondary color going around the back window. As I said I have seen both ways of doing the second color(above and below the gutter). I am thinking either it was offered both ways or around the back window is correct. Love that green one!

post-54093-143141729136_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143141729138_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Falabella (see edit history)

Paul,

I believe the black and white car is correct with the color going around the back window. I guess that I (wrongly) assumed that the big series cars were even remotely similar to the small series cars which I am admittedly more familiar with.

My point earlier about "above the rain gutter" was that the outer edge of the rain gutter is painted roof color.