My 62' New Yorker

I guess you could call this a "barn find". A few years ago I was looking for a car as a hobby. Being in the Fire Department, I was detailed to a station in south Baltimore, and was talking about my intentions to a few of the guys. One of the guys in that station said that his neighbor was trying to sell her Fathers car. He wasn't sure what it was, but that it was old, and hadn't been out of the garage in a while. Gave him my phone number, and she called me the next day. She told me that her father put the car in the garage about 15-16 years ago, and it hasn't moved since, and she wanted to space to put her kids dirt bikes. Went down 2 days later, and when she opened the garage door and I saw that grill, I knew I had to have it. ( My father had a 60' 300F convertible) Apparently he worked about 4 blocks from the house, and always walked to work. Original upholstery, headliner, paint, and 34k miles

.post-31862-143141718042_thumb.jpg

post-31862-14314171803_thumb.jpg

post-31862-143141718037_thumb.jpg

post-31862-143141718039_thumb.jpg

Very nice Andy. A beautiful find. Do you have more pictures - ie: interior, dash, under hood, etc. What's the old girl need? Lots of fun to be had!

Chuck

Keiser31 thank you.

Woodfidler: No interior pics right now, 16 degrees outside. When it warms up, I'll get a few. Engine compartment is still pretty rough, FINANCES and some health issues have slowed that down. Only things I have done are new tires (still had HR78 14s on it, all were flat). Carb rebuilt, replace belts, replace brake booster and wheel cylinders, points plugs and condenser initially, but added a pertronix ignition. Replaced gas tank, sending unit, and fuel pump. Everything works except the radio and clock. Don't know if it was dealer, or some aftermarket vendor, but car has about 3/4 " of undercoat. Probably why it has survived so well.

• 4 months later...

6-20-13

You will have a ball with that '62 New Yorker--it has a 413 c.i./4 bbl. carb engine that will fly when properly tuned.

When you get it running, the electroluminescent dash lighting is splendid. -pic attached-

-

I have a '61 Chrysler Newport still in our barn since 1974. Here is a pic of it after the first car wash since '74. This will be my next project to get it running again. Does your car have factory air? Here in Texas, it was a must.

For readers who have never seen our Chrysler dash, produced from 1960-1962, I attached another pic: bubble glass over instruments and speedo, TorqueFlite transmission pushbuttons on the left of the steering wheel, placed symmetrically with the Airtemp AC/heat pushbuttons on the right side. The periscope AC vents swivel and pull up and down for AC airflow to the passengers. And yes, it was known to frost the windshield when an air vent was laid flat.

Good luck with your Chrysler, it's a beauty.

Best to you, Allen

post-75504-143141957722_thumb.jpg

post-75504-14314195773_thumb.jpg

post-75504-143141957731_thumb.jpg