1964 Riviera Carb Question

Guest DennisB56

Guest DennisB56

Hello,

My name is Dennis, I do not own a Riviera but my friend has since his was new in 1964. He does not have a computer but he does belong to the ROA. He wants to put a new carb on his 1964 425 Riviera. I have done some internet searching for him and came across this site. In my searching I've found that a Edlebrock 750 performer should work but before he spends the money he asked me to check with you folks. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Since your friend is an ROA member, remind him that he can contact one of the 63-65 ROA technical advisors listed in the magazine. Sometimes its good to speak with someone directly in person which helps insure all concerns surrounding a problem are identified so the right solution is chosen.

The original carburetor that came with the car is tough to beat especially on a stock engine. I would suggest your friend have the original "profesionally" rebuilt vs buying aftermarket. Rebuilding involves quite a bit more than installing a simple refresher "kit" which many associate with rebuilding a carb. There are a couple highly competant folks (ROA members) he could send it too and we can supply those names if needed.

Dennis,

Jason is right on. The AFB on your '64 is calibrated for that particular 425; it's even different than an AFB for a 401 from the same year. Aftermarket carbs are too universal.

Two very major things to consider are 1) any aftermarket carb is not going to allow you to use the factory kickdown linkage, and 2) ALL aftermarket carbs styled like the AFB (Edlebrock - AFB and AVS - Carter 9000 series, etc.) all have a larger neck than the OE Carter. That means that you can not use the original air cleaner with them; you'd have to go to an aftermarket one. Have the original carb rebuilt by a professional, don't just put a kit in it. Or find one that has already been rebuilt. Make sure you use a stainless heat shield between the base of the carb and the gasket that sits on the intake manifold. Have your friend look in the classified sections of his latest Riview and contact one of the guys who advertises carb rebuilding or contact Jon at THE CARBURETOR SHOP.

Ed

Guest DennisB56

Thank you for the replies and the info. We have talked about him sending the carb out for rebuilding but he kind of wanted to find a replacement locally and be good to go. Sounds like the linkage and aircleaner might be enough for him to send it out. I appreciate the help.

Dennis

These carbs are very easy to rebuild. Any competent, experienced tech (look for some grey hair) should be able to handle the job locally. Just be sure you do not use a "carb shop" that mixes parts from more than one carb to supply a replacement. Be sure they rebuild YOUR carb. Keep in mind that is assuming your carb is the correct carb and has not already been "Frankensteined" !! Good luck,

Tom Mooney

Have your friend send his original carb to Tom Telesco to rebuild. He does great work, and is a Nailhead expert. I would not put an aftermarket carb on a Nailhead. My 2 cents.