1960 Buick starter-how many bolts?

Guest jazzfi

I need to drop the starter on my 1960 Buick tonight in 20 degree weather so i want to be prepared, how many bolts hold this on? it looks like 2, is that it? thanks a lot!

The two main bolts are at the back of the starter and usually go into the block of the engine. Before taking those off you should look at the front of the starter to see if there is a bracket and brace holding the front up with one additional bolt. If the starter was ever replaced in the past chances are the front bracket is not attached if it is even still there.

But before taking any bolts out, you should see if you have access to the wiring on the front of the solenoid which is the added black/silver cylinder on top of the starter motor. Chances are these bolts will be most difficult because they are small, and they can be crusted on with oxidation. In addition the battery cable is very stiff due to it's thickness and that bolt can be a burden too. If I have this right, one of the small wires will have an 11/32nd nut, the other a 5/16. Chances are you will break the black plastic ring on the front of the solenoid when you try to loosen these nuts. Don't worry about it. New solenoids are usually included on starter rebuilds. Careful putting these small wires back on too. Many times these wires are just long enough to hit the battery cable when re installing. In this case you'll find the engine will not turn off and you will have to choke the engine to stop it. The battery cable is either a 9/16 or a 1/2 inch. The starter bolts are most likely a 5/8 " socket.

I have pulled starters on a 65- 401 and a 56 -322 without taking anything else off the engine. I suspect you will find it the same on your 60.

I do know that the header pipe needs to be removed first on the 1957 model line. You find this out cause after getting the starter free it will not drop all the way down at the angel needed to free everything that is in the path of removal. This may also be the case on your model year. Pick a warmer day to do this if you can.