New Riviera owner

Guest hldn36

Hello all, I have been lurking for a few weeks. I have just taken delivery of a 1965 Riviera, silver, with a black interior. I have "known" this car many years, and have recently had to assist in placing the original owner in a hospice situation.

The car has been fairly well taken care of over the years, with a repaint in 1998 and an accident repair (rear impact) in 2003. It has a few door dings and rust spots showing, but still is very nice from a distance. Mechanically the car is fair, with a non original but seemingly correct 401. The rear suspension is loose and clunking,(trackbar I believe) but it drives out very nice. The interior was redone in 1998 also.

Using the info online and on the ROA website I have been able to learn a lot about the car, but still cannot completely decode the options line. Maybe someone can clarify. It reads;

EXTS-2K-4F-5KW

It was delivered to my home in tennesse last week, I got to look it over closely for one day, then had to leave for work to california.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome, and congrats. But, this thread is useless without pics. Yes, we love pics. :cool:

The trackbar pieces on the rear are easy to fix, and will make a huge difference.

congrats, hidn36! looks from the pics like a good base for a complete restoration. You've already come to the right place, so some of this may go without saying...... I recommend you join the ROA if you haven't yet, acquire as many back issues of the Riview as you can, including an index, so you can access articles pertaining to all the challenges you will be facing. You can find a lot of this info on the club website, and I believe a disc compilation is in the works also. Next, hunt down a shop manual and a body service manual, they can sometimes be found on ebay or in the ad section of the Review. Then you should order Riv catalogs from the major suppliers, like Clarks Corvair, Cars Inc., Classic Buicks Inc., and OPGI. As with the club mag, everything is available on line, but I like to have the material in hand. Also, keep your eye on ebay......I have bought lots of good stuff on ebay for my '65 over the years with no problems, but as always its buyer beware, so take a good look at and inquire about what you're about to buy. I would imagine one of the old-timers on this forum probably knows what you need to know or has what you want out in their shed, so ask here first. Anyway, I hope you have fun and be sure to document your progress so we can follow along. Drew Smith #4675 Rivnik

Hey, has anyone installed rear seat seat belts on a 65? Got any tips? I could take my wife and two of her cute girlfriends all for a ride if I only had those rear belts.

Hey, has anyone installed rear seat seat belts on a 65? Got any tips? I could take my wife and two of her cute girlfriends all for a ride if I only had those rear belts.

Do an advanced search for a post that I made a couple of years ago that shows a page from the chassis manual that shows where to drill the holes. Attaching hardware can be found on-line.

After you click on the Advances Search link, click on the singel search tab. Type in your keyword(s) then limit your search to the Riviera Owners forum.

Ed

post-90576-143139333718_thumb.jpgThanks GBGS, yes to all but the door edge guards, probably removed for the repaint and lost. The two items you question were the ones I could not figure out. The car also has the vacuum remote trunk latch release. I will keep digging.

Thanks to all who responded.

The data on your plate decodes as follows: E - EZI glass, all windows, X - Power Windows, T - Power seat (bucket), S - remote trunk release, Group 2: K - air conditioning, Group 4: F - remote mirror, Group 5: K - Door edge guards, W - front seat belts w/ retractors.

These are the options for which Fisher Body needed to alter a base body. Other options such as wheel / wheel covers, four note horns, rear arm rest, posi-trac rear end, engine choice, and other things that could be added during final assembly will not be listed on the data plate.

The other info on the plate tells you that the car was built in the 5th week of March, the 628 trim code is for black vinyl, and the ZZ color code is for silver paint, which you've already mentioned.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

They are in the "Articles from the Riview" link which is part of the Member's Only section.

The link is in my signature line. Here's the link that will get your membership packet, and a copy of the latest Riview, sent to you as quickly as possible. https://secure.netsolhost.com/rivowners.org/apply_form/membershipform_paypal.php

Your location is not in your profile, but perhaps you live close enough to join us in Lexington, KY the last week of June for our annual meet.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Ed

• 1 month later...