Has anyone repainted their fan shroud?

Guest Rob J

The original fan shroud on the 65 I'm restoring is in fantastic original shape. But being that it is almost 50 years old, it looks a little weathered. I'd like to paint it, but am concerned with the paint holding up over time. Would like to coat it with a Matte Black finish. Has anyone done this, what have you used, and has it held up?

I used dark grey (almost black) primer on my 67 which was very close to original appearance on a 67 shroud. Held up perfectly for length of ownership of 17 years and many miles. I'd lean towards original appearance as well if even a few small imperfections are present but if too many battlle scars an overall clean low gloss not quite black appearance is probably preferrable. As long as color is close to any of the suggestions mentioned no one is going to nit-pic it nor would you lose points at a BCA 400 point show.

The shroud originally has a charcoal colored fiberglass look about it. It should not be black if originality is the goal. If so, why not clear coat the original with a semi-gloss clear? Or, if your original is excellent, leave it alone.

Tom Mooney

I agree with Tom and that's exactly what I did with my car. It just looks better than paint.

Thanks gents, excellent suggestions. I don't really think I'll have this car judged, so I'm not too concerned with it being 100% original. When I finally do the GS, then I'll be aiming for a 400 point car.