63 interior lamps etc. Brain Strainer

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Here is a brain strainer: The courtesy lights in the front sides of the center console come on when you open the doors if the headlight switch is in the fully counterclockwise position. I have a issue where the lights in the sail panels stay on and do not go off unless the headlight switch is turned to the clockwise position. Can anyone make sence of this and tell me how I can have lights come on by opening the door without the sail panel lights staying on?

Item 2: How do you take the center console rear lens and lamp assembly apart to change the lamp or lens?

Thanks.

steelco-you have to raise back of console to get to two hexhead screws that hold the assembly in place-just looked at my spair console 1/4 inch was to big -must be 15/64ths.good luck and patience-i found these cars arent that much of a problem after having to take the front end off of my daughters 09 malibu to change a headlight bulb.t.nugent roa 12969...

There are 3 separate interior light systems on a '63 Riv.

One is the map light over the glove box and the 2 lights on the sides of the center console in front. They are controlled by the switch up under the dash (with heater, A/C knobs, etc.).

The second is the rear sail panel lights. They are controlled by the headlight switch knob being turned to the full-bright position for the instrument lights.

The third is the is the rear light on the center console. It is controlled by the small switch below the light lens.

All 3 of these light systems have 12 volt power applied to them all the time (key on or off). they are EACH seeking a ground to light up. The switch under the dash provides a ground to that circuit. The headlight switch provides a ground to that circuit. The light under the center console completes that circuit.

All 3 circuits are provided a gound by EITHER door switch (when it works correctly).

Pull each door switch and see what the wires look like going into the switch. Test the switch with a meter. When the switch is "off" (door closed) each of these 3 wires should be isolated from each other and not providing a ground to any lights. When the switch is "on" (door open) the 3 wires are all grounded and connected to each other.

The sail panel lights have their power fed by the same fuse as the trunk light. They are seeking a ground.

So for your sail panel lights, I recommend investigating the headlight switch.

These electrical gremlins can be quite a challenge to sort out.

Sounds like your sail panel lights are functioning properly via the headlight switch ground. If other interior lights are only functioning when the headlight switch is providing ground (counterclockwise position) I would suspect that ground is not being properly provided for those circuits and/or someone may have combined those circuits via an improper connection or improper/disfunctional switch. The most obvious place is the door jamb switch. As Jim suggests, remove the door jamb switches and be sure each of the hot leads found there are isolated from one another. Each wire should control its respective circuit when grounded to the body.

Tom Mooney

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,Jim, can I presume this info applies to the '65 also? My console and map light used to come on with the drivers door open, but do not function at all now,nor do they respond to the under dash switch.....my sail panel courtesy lights come on with the drivers door open but do not respond to the headlight switch being rotated....my dash lights are so dim they are barely visible,as is my shifter lighting, but my high beam indicator is ridiculously bright.Does this last problem point to a bad headlight switch? Does the switch have a rheostat controlling the dash brightness, or does rotation simply activate the courtesy lamps? Thanks for your advice, Drew Rivnik Smith #4675

Same for `65 Drew. Check the bulbs in the console and map light. If OK you may have two problems, one in the door jamb switches and also another relating to the courtesy light switch.

The headlight switch is a rheostat which controls the brightness level of the dash lights. The switch is still available and cheap, change it.

To improve the brightness level of the dashlights (after headlight switch and therefore rheostat replacement) replace the original spec bulbs for bulbs with a higher candle power output. Do a search here on the forum for bulb numbers. If you cant find them inquire again and I`ll post them.

Tom

Guest brivi65

Steeleco, I had a problem with my int lamps as well, turned out to be my console lamp switch was shorting out, I found a used one and changed it out and problem solved, but I'm with you on the cluster and gear select lights being dim, the rheostat will dim them down to nothing, so it's working, I might try a more powerful bulb..Brian