Engine identification question

2seater

I am pretty certain all 1988 engines have "3800" cast into the top of the intake plenum, and I am reasonably sure that the 1989 does not. I am asking if anyone has an engine that doesn't match this description and would let me know. I am looking for a visual way to sort out engines in a scrap pile. I have been looking for an '88 to scavenge the camshaft.

I am pretty certain all 1988 engines have "3800" cast into the top of the intake plenum, and I am reasonably sure that the 1989 does not. I am asking if anyone has an engine that doesn't match this description and would let me know. I am looking for a visual way to sort out engines in a scrap pile. I have been looking for an '88 to scavenge the camshaft.

That is correct, though my convertible had the 3800 on the intake, but the PO changed that before I bought it.

I guess I will have to find what I am looking for the hard way. I wonder what other parts may have carried over or maybe even started early? The 1990 Buick Regal was the first to have the L27 engine, but of course that is visually different. Just for info. purposes, I found some information on the L27 camshaft, and it is even milder than the '89-90, at least on the intake lobe. The same exhaust lobe but seven degrees less on the intake lobe. Very strange and not what I would expect with a 5hp bump plus a little more torque. Perhaps the info. is wrong, the bump-up is fiction or it was done in some other way. The intake is obviously different, but the internals of the engine were exactly the same for the early L27 as the LN3.

Thanks to all.