1919 Tranny Leak - Advice Please

72caddy

Finally had a chance to get my new wheel finished and took the Touring out for a spin. Everything went fine until I noticed that when I stopped a steady stream of tranny oil was leaking between the tranny and the rear flywheel/clutch housing. I am using 1500 wt. oil and realize some leak is expected, but 2 cups at every prolonged stop is a bit much IMO, but would like to hear from the experts.

Is this something that can be repaired with the tranny in the car or what do I need to pull/drop to fix this seal? Is there more than one I need to look for? Also need a vendor for the proper seal(s). I will try Myers and Romar first of course.

I can post photos if that would help.

Richard

Did you replace any bearings? Some trannies used bearings with an oil shield to curb mainshaft leakage. If an unsheilded bearing was used the oil will pour out. Some trannies used tapered shafts and if they were removed through the wrong end the bore in the case would be expanded allowing a gap around the shaft to leak. Don't know if this would be the case.

I would expect it more likely the seal on the rear of the engine may be the culprit? If you do know it too be coming from the tranny than is the oil you are using old where it has broken down and lost its viscosity. Just something to consider.

Hi 72caddy. I don't know your car, but from what you say I think you will have to drop the gearbox and investigate the leak. my money is on the oil flinger being on the wrong way round if that is possible on your box or an oil shield missing like Jpage said... something silly like that. A bearing could have siezed and rotated in it's housing causing serious wear in the casing allowing oil to leak past - it's difficult to say until you strip it down. Let us know how you get on.

Sometimes oil leaking like you say is due to overfilling if the filler hole is not supposed to be the limiter but you would expect the leak to be at the output/prop end. You might like to check your manual for that information. As I don't know that particular gearbox I'm guessing of course, but you need to do it before oil gets on the clutch!

Best of luck,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)