2000 camaro front brakes

handmedownreatta

i lucked upon a set of 2000 camaro front disc brakes.[1998-2002].i was looking because daniel has them on his car.they are 12 inch rotors and twin pistons.all v6 and v8 camaros from 1998 to 2002 use the same front brakes.it amazed me how easily these bolted on my car.just unbolt the reatta caliper bracket and bolt on the camaro bracket and caliper.same bolts.no drilling or modding.this took me from 10.25" to 12"rotors.the camaro rotor slid right on to the reatta hub.its holes are oversized to fit multable applications.the only problem is the reatta brake line is a little short and the camaro hose is really short.i used the reatta hose and bent the bracket on the strut out to make it reach but i may order a two inch longer hose.use the camaro banjo bolt the reattas bolt is a different thread pattern.brake fluid was constantly dripping so i left the camaro bleeder screw open til gravity bled the 'new' caliper.there is about a quarter inch clearance to my 16 inch caddy wheels.unfortunately the spare no longer fits.im currently running the camaro setup on one side and the reatta setup on the other just in case theres problems but so far it brakes perfectly straight.i took pictures if anyone needs to see.the ironic part here is i bought these to put on my camaro but i will have to machine the hubs and buy an adapter to install forth gen brakes on a third gen while they bolt right on to a same year buick.lol.i tried one of the ugly factory wheels.not even close to fitting.

Edited by handmedownreatta (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

It's a great mod. Did you upgrade to Z28 aluminum caliper? Saves a ton of unsprung weight. You will appreciate the greater stopping power of this combo.

If you get a flat in the front, put the donut spare on the rear wheel, and then move that tire to the front if you don't want to give up the trunk space a larger donut will take up.

• 5 years later...

The pictures answered one of my questions........which was........when you switch to the Camaro calipers, do you use the original adaptor (part that attaches the caliper to the spindle) or do you use the Camaro adaptor.

And it appears the answer is......you must use the Camaro adaptor

I did a some research on parts by using the RockAuto site.......Camaro and Firebird (makes sense) calipers are the same....(important if you are going for used parts)

RockAuto shows the Delco part number....front left = 18R1583.....front right = 18R1582

Rotors.....big choices, lots of GM cars used the same rotor,  again important if you are going for used parts.

• Ronnie featured this topic
12 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

The pictures answered one of my questions........which was........when you switch to the Camaro calipers, do you use the original adaptor (part that attaches the caliper to the spindle) or do you use the Camaro adaptor.

And it appears the answer is......you must use the Camaro adaptor

I did a some research on parts by using the RockAuto site.......Camaro and Firebird (makes sense) calipers are the same....(important if you are going for used parts)

RockAuto shows the Delco part number....front left = 18R1583.....front right = 18R1582

Rotors.....big choices, lots of GM cars used the same rotor,  again important if you are going for used parts.

its a good swap.nothing on the car is modified so it could be back stock in the unlikelyhood they become collectable.so is the 1996 rear eldorado brakes eventhough i haven't figured out to make that look stock.the only thing id like to change is the  severe front dive when i hit the brakes.i changed all four struts last year so i wonder if maybe the front springs are bad.