Setting points on v12

Beltfed

I'm trying to get to know this very different V12 motor. Looking at the points, coils, distributor area. My "Motor's auto repair manual" says that the distributor needs to be pulled and placed in a 'distributor test fixture' to synchronize the points. I don't think I've got one of those in my somewhat well equipped garage. There must be a 'shade tree' setup to get this task completed. Does anyone know what it is and be willing to share it. Thanks

Yes, believe it or not you can set the points "manually" if you're careful and there are Ford service procedures. I believe the old Motor's Manual (1935-50) describes how this is done. I've done a few and it seems to work fine. The trick is determining the exact point the points open when using this procedure. A test lamp or digital vol/ohm meter across the points works for me. Another caution is to be careful not to move the main breaker plate when turning the "sync" eccentric adjustment. You need to go back and recheck the intial settings a few times.

• 1 month later...

I have set my points on a machine and also the way they show in the book with two machine rulers. If you fallow the directions in the book and take careful measurments you will be extremly close. I have 3 distributors and the one I did manually when put on the machine was perfect. Be careful not to over tighten the dist bolts when installing it, it can crack the ears and it can also throw off the dwell by as much as 20 degrees. If you have a portable dwell machine it helps, but setting the dwell with the dist on the car is a major pain. took me 3 days to get mine perfect but it was worth it as it runs like a top.