starter goes on when hitting gas pedal.when not needed, car aiallready started. 1940 buick speci

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

I am having a problem with the connection of the gas pedal to starter, The car starts fine by pressing down on gas pedal. ( i am assuming that is the correct way to start i am a new car owner) the key is in the center position. then after starting, when trying to rev engine by just stepping on gas pedal the starter engages again ,even with the car already running. my ignition key is still in the center position. am i doing something wrong or is there some problem with the connection of the pedal to starter, that needs to be fixed or adjusted? please advise.... 1940 buick special with documented original 39K miles.

post-53072-143139244841_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143139244857_thumb.jpg

post-53072-143139244871_thumb.jpg

I just noticed this post. There is a spring loaded vacuum switch in the carb base right under where the wires connect. It is probably suck. Just flip the carb over and spray some cleaner down into it. If you can reach into the vacuum opening with a prick or probe poke around some and jiggle it loose.

After loosening it up put an ohm meter across the terminals to be sure the switch fails open.

Bernie

Hi,

Nice car!

This should be a fairly easy fix. The starter motor relay circuit is completed by a switch attached to the throttle linkage. The switch rotates and closes when you depress the pedal and move the linkage. That switch then disengages itself when engine vacuum rotates it to its disconnect (open) position. I suspect that your switch is leaking vacuum (likely a defective diaphram inside) or possibly has been disconnected from the vacuum source. Replacement switches are available from Buick suppliers and on Ebay. Installation of a new switch is a simple hand-tools job.

--Tom

PS--I just saw 60FlatTop's post, which was submitted only seconds before mine. By all means first check the source of the vacuum at the base of the carburetor.

--Tom

Edited by trp3141592 (see edit history)

Both the above are correct and should be checked but it sounds like you must also have a problem with the voltage regulator.

The regulator provides the ground for the starter system. There is a relay in there that should open once the engine has started and current is being generated by the generator. This is designed to stop the problem you are having.

Danny