Step by step restoration of my 24 tourer

Guest rameses32

Finally getting some work done on the Dodge. This is the engine and transmission as I pulled it out.

Hi

I see you have made up some lugs to attach the lifting chain to the head studs. Any chance of a detailed photo of them? I will need to pull my motor shortly and was wondering how to attach the hoist other than to put slings around the whole mess. I have much more faith in chain!

Cheers

Tony

Hi

I see you have made up some lugs to attach the lifting chain to the head studs. Any chance of a detailed photo of them? I will need to pull my motor shortly and was wondering how to attach the hoist other than to put slings around the whole mess. I have much more faith in chain!

Cheers

Tony

They appear to be common eye bolts screwed in place of a couple head bolts/studs.

Good idea....... :D

No so. If you look closely there appears to be a flat plate attached to an eye which takes the D shackle. The plate is held on a head stud by a nut. A common eye bolt would not be feasible as they use a UNC thread. Dodge head studs are UNF. Any eye bolt used for this purpose would have to be a special and probably forged solid to carry the weight. I really need a closer view of how the plate is attached to the eye.

Edited by TonyAus (see edit history)

Guest rameses32

Tony, sorry I havent replied earlier, flat out at work all week. When I pulled the engine out I simply used a short piece of 1/8" steel strap with two holes drilled in it ,bent into an L shape. But when I put it back in I didnt want to scratch the paint so I made the bracket in this photo, the big piece attaches to the carb bolts and the strap attaches to the rear exhaust stud. Balance was pretty good. The tape was just too protect the paint, hope this helps.

post-88483-143142575216_thumb.jpg

Thanks - all is now revealed. An excellent and simple idea. I tend to think about using complicated methods. Ah work - yes I remember that. Something to be avoided as it takes up too much of your valuable time.

BTW, where in Australia are you?

Cheers

Tony

Guest rameses32

Just outside Port Macquarie, NSW

Thanks - all is now revealed. An excellent and simple idea. I tend to think about using complicated methods. Ah work - yes I remember that. Something to be avoided as it takes up too much of your valuable time.

BTW, where in Australia are you?

Cheers

Tony