Anyone have original address of Portland Studebaker dealership?

I am trying to locate the original building that housed the Studebaker (and later Mercedes-Benz) dealership here in Portland, OR. I searched online and only keep finding references to the "West Burnside Street location" but no actual address. Here is a photo of the building I am trying to find.

post-83411-143139224492_thumb.jpg

Rasmussen was located at 1509 West Burnside. The other Studebaker dealer was Marks Motors they were at 1706 East Burnside.

Does that mean there were two Studebaker dealers only two blocks apart? How was that even allowed?

Terry

Does that mean there were two Studebaker dealers only two blocks apart? How was that even allowed?

Terry

Your math is incorrect. The two locations were 32 blocks apart. One was on West Burnside the other on East. In any event I am not certain if they were both in business simultaneously.

Your math is incorrect. The two locations were 32 blocks apart. One was on West Burnside the other on East. In any event I am not certain if they were both in business simultaneously.

:o D'oh!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 32mod55

Steve, I wish I had been able to see this before this past weekend, our SDC club just had a tour to Newberg OR yesterday (Saturday, 11-10) and we could have done some on-site investigating!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all, the west Burnside dealership apparently existed just a few blocks from where I live now, it's the next block east of Monte Shelton Jaguar on the same side of the street and is a dog day care business today called Virginia Woof. Now I wonder if they were neighbors back in the day or who had the Jag shop.

I've been driving by the place several days a week for years in blissful ignorance but I confirmed it is the shop in my photo. It seems to have narrowly avoided a close call with the demolition crew!

Below is a street view picture as it stands today, tho it's difficult to really tell from this close up. In person it is much more obvious. Good work men, have a round on me.

Coincidentally, the 1138 NE Sandy address for Marks Motors dealership happens to be about 3 blocks from where I bought my coupe in 2011. Looking on google maps it seems the building may not have survived. I see Michael's Italian Meats but that's the only building still standing on the block, and it's address is 1111. Portland street numeration dictates that it would only be on this block.

post-83411-143139303179_thumb.png

Edited by MarrsCars
added info (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest RWMcFerran

There were two Studebaker dealers in Portland, Oregon in the 50's. At 1706 East Burnside was Marks Motors (owned by Howard and Florence Marks) and on the West side was Rasmussen Motors. The Willamete River separates East and West Portland so these two competing dealerships were 3 to 5 miles apart. I worked at Marks Motors 1957-60 or thereabouts. I bought my first NEW car ever there - a 1957 black Studebaker Silver Hawk V-8. Great car.