Valve Adjustment

JayG

No, the spring stays where it is to give the valve the pressure it needs to fully seat the valve. Rotate the cam via the engine crank so the lifter appears all the way down and use a leaf type feeler gauge, sometimes it helps if you take loose the single feeler blade from the set. It should pass through tightly between the lifter and the valve stem, IF you're standing on your head! This is never a fun job on this engine. If you want to burn your arms on the manifold, do it with the engine running. Just make sure you know the clearances on the engines AFTER #265,496 are .005" / .006". Your engine should have the prefix letter "A"xxxxxx, which denotes "one million xxxxxx". Some owners prefer a different valve clearance and I won't get into that now.

I figured the spring should be expanded to put pressure on the valve but wow -- You can't get the gauge up and under the keeper. I still have the manifold off so it is easy access. I plan on setting them cold at .005 and .006. This is .002 more than the hot setting for my engine.

I can't understand this conundrum with the hidden valve stem on the lifter. If you have a reprint of the Mechanic's Instruction Manual, Revised edition, July, 1926, take a look on page 114 to see the front cutaway view of the engine, showing the valve stem/lifter in plain reach for a feeler gauge. I had to check all my valves OK, but everything was bolted up and in place which can make it difficult at times. Maybe there is a chance someone replaced the entire valve assembly with shorter valves and are using "deeper keepers" that cover the clearance area??

I got in there with better light and Pete is right the end of the valve is not recessed up into the keeper. It's pretty much in line with the bottom of the keeper. I was able to adjust the valves. Boy were they all over the place. The intake on #3 was big enough to drive a truck through. Others were too tight. Anyway the conundrum was my own ignorance. That's what I enjoy about this hobby. It's all learn as you go.