Hey guys! New member who's here to learn...

Guest Jack Stacey

Guest Jack Stacey

Hello all! I've been checking out these boards for awile now, and thought it'd probably be good to register. I might learn me some stuff...Anyway, my name's Jack, I'm a junior in high school in central NY, and I've been saving for a car since 6th grade. Now that I've had my license for awhile, I have this uncontrolable urge to buy, and start fixing up an old machine. I've recently taken interest in '49-'57 Oldsmobiles and especially the straight-8 Buicks of 1950-1952. Much to the dismay of my parents and friends, (who don't want anything to do with, and are probably sick of hearing me talk about Super 88's and Roadmasters, they're all into the Lambos and Ferrari's) But I'm more of a throwback to the 1950's...Anyway, I've come here to try and augment my knowledge of these great old cars. I wanna learn as much as I can before diving in head first. I also wanted to know if there's any guys around me I could email or talk to that have experience with the old straight-8 Buicks, because that's what I'm really looking into. You've definitely got some highly knowledgeable people on these boards, and I'm looking foreaward to hearing from you!

-Jack

Jack,

Welcome to the forum. Seems that you have already got the Buick bug. You could visit your local library and see what types of books are available on Buicks. I recommend reading many of the Me and my Buick threads. Scroll down on the forum to the Buick section and you will see it. You have a good idea, trying to contact a "local" guy with a 50's car. Might I recommend 47'? I'm especially swayed toward the 46, 47, 48's. Love the lines. Feel free to also post in this in the Buick General forum. If you really get excited about Buicks and buy one, please join the BCA and attend your local chapter. Attend as many meets and cruises as possible and ask lots of questions here. That's what we are here for. Matt

Guest billybird

Welcome to the AACA forum Jack; it's so nice to have you here among us. I feel your pain. Reading your post takes me back to my teen years of the 70's. Most of us have suffered the same ridicule. No one in my family ever was into old cars; I've just been like this ever since I can remember. I pressed on and ignored the nay sayers with my "tunnel vision" focus on old cars. When they see you are really serious and have not lost your mind, they will eventually give up and shut up. At least that's the way it was with me. Your right about the mine of knowledge on this forum. You will learn much my friend; press on! Full steam ahead! Run 'er till she blows Capn' !!!

Hey, I am into Oldsmobile myself. I will not hold it against you that you like Buick! :D

When I was where you are now, my study hall period in high school was spent devouring a tome titled, Glenn's Auto Repair Manual. Believe it or not, I learned quite a lot doing so.

Welcome to the hobby, and the the AACA Forum!

Pay no attention to your friends- a 50s Buick or Oldsmobile is an attainable goal, while the Italian exoticars are simply dreams. I see them here often because of VIR, but while pretty to look at and interesting performance-wise, how many people can realistically afford one?

The Buick Forums are an invaluable source of knowledge. The worst things I can think of dealing with those years Buicks are DynaFlows and that torque-tube drive they hung onto after everyone else had gone to Hotchkiss open drivelines. They take special service techniques but the Buick guys can get you thru them.

Oldsmobiles also have their issues- among the biggest is finding someone who knows anything about servicing or rebuilding a HydraMatic, which is the same issue you'll have with a DynaFlow. Oldsmobile had the reputation as GM's engineering and gadget division, so you may find that Oldsmobile did some things "differently".

But, a bright kid who likes working with his hands and isn't afraid to tinker with stuff to find out how it works will enjoy an old car. Just try not to get caught up in the investment and financial aspect of owning one, because you will soon cease to love and enjoy the hobby if you start obsessing over your old car's value.