Is it really true 71-78 Road wheels can't be used on a 65?

Guest Rob J

I just found out that a fairly nice set of road wheels I had acquired a while back seem to be the 71-78 style. They have 895 stamped on them. (Very hard to see the stampings) According to the wheel article on the ROA tech site, it says to not use this style rim. Is that really true, as I have seen folks using this style rim on a 65 before?

The `71 and up wheels have a shallower offset. In addition to potentially not seating the lug nut surface correctly on the axle/hub before the inboard side of the wheel contacts the fins on the brake drum the shallower offset wheels just dont have the same look as originals. I`m somewhat anal about the wheels because the subtle differences in cosmetics stand out to me but I would suggest finding a set of drum brake style wheels (pre `67 and 1/2) if you are after an authentic, correct appearance for a `65. Even if you find `66 -`67 1/2 wheels with the 2 and 1/8th center hole adapters are available to run the correct for `65 2 inch center cap.

Tom Mooney

P.S. If you are not concerned with subtle cosmetic differences any wheel from `64 to `70, drum brake or disc brake, will have the correct offset.

Rob,

Can't say for certain about the 65 but I think the issue is same as what happens on the 66-70. Since the offset is different on the 71 and later wheels they will touch the fins on the drum and be very close to rubbing the brake back plate. If there are balancing weights on the back side they will hit. In the late 70s I grabbed some 72 wheels from the junkyard and put them on my 67. I finally realized they were causing a squeaking noise rubbing on the drum fins as the wheel flexed a bit. Also I had no wheel weights left. A spacer could be used to bump them out a bit for more clearance but thats not advisable.

Chris, as long as they are not bent and in restorable condition. I plan on sending the wheels to Rally America for re-chroming, restoration. After seeing how nice Jason's wheels came out, and after talking to Jimmy over at Rally America, I'm confident they can restore even rough condition wheels. Let me know what you have. Thanks, Rob.

How nice of wheels do you need?

Chris, as long as they are not bent and in restorable condition. I plan on sending the wheels to Rally America for re-chroming, restoration. After seeing how nice Jason's wheels came out, and after talking to Jimmy over at Rally America, I'm confident they can restore even rough condition wheels. Let me know what you have. Thanks, Rob.

I have a friend who had a restored set a few months ago, not sure if he still does or not. Don't know if it was Rally America who did them though.

Good morning Rob, I have wheels and can send you pics if you're still looking. How many do you need (4 or 5)? Also, I agree with Tom's comments. I'm particular about what goes on my car and the subtle cosmetic differences are significant in my anal brain. '65 wheels are hard to find. I may have a complete spare set.

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)