Marvel Mystery Oil as gas stabilizer

Guest Shoe1932

Guest Shoe1932

Hello all. I have recently heard that another of the uses for Marvel Mystery Oil is as a gas stabilizer. Does anyone have any advice on this subject or can someone recommend a good stabilizer instead. If MMO is the way to go, what is the recommended amount per gallon of gas.

Thanks

Guest WEB 38

I Have been using STA-BIL for years and it works great for me. I use marvel mystery in my oil, never tried it as a stabilzer. Bill

Guest Shoe1932
I Have been using STA-BIL for years and it works great for me. I use marvel mystery in my oil, never tried it as a stabilzer. Bill

Thanks Bill. I love MMO and how no one seems to know how it works. I will also stick with STA-BIL.

Thanks for the reply

Shoe,

I use MMO in my gas to help prevent vapor lock, @ 1/4 cup per 10 gallons of the "corn-gas" our nit-wit government here in Colorado forces us to use. MMO looks, smells and tastes a lot like ATF. Hummmmm ? Makes you wonder ?

I also use CD-2 Lead substitute, per bottle instructions, to help lube the valve seats.

I use Sta-bil for winter storage, with a really full tank, to prevent condensation in the top of the tank.

Mike in Colorado

Guest BigDogDaddy
Thanks Bill. I love MMO and how no one seems to know how it works. I will also stick with STA-BIL.

Thanks for the reply

That's why it's called Mystery Oil. :D

I don't know how it is as a fuel stabilizer, but I add a few ounces to the gas tank occasionally. Many old timers with high mileage cars swear by using the MMO in the gas as well as the crankcase.

I haven't heard of it used as stabilizer, but I use it faithfully in side valve (L-head) engines in the 4 oz/10 gallon dosage to reduce carbon buildup in combustion chambers and to improve valve stem lubrication.

The story I've always heard is that MMO has a naphtha base which converts hard carbon (esp. in combustion chambers) to soft carbon which then flakes off and blows out the exhaust. It was reportedly developed in the 1920s for that purpose, as the gasoline of the day carboned up heads causing pre-ignition, which required head removal and carbon scraping every 15,000 miles or so.

My favorite two quotes from an old car buddy now on the Big Tour in the sky.

When someone would ask him about MMO (responding with a straight face) : "Why, I use it on pancakes"

My favorite: "I've only met one real jerk in the old car hobby. Lent him a tool and I knew I'd never see him again."