COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

I am trying to figure out what gear to switch to on my 1964 Riviera. I am planning on a 3.73 or 3.90. I know my third gear is a 1.00 ratio (ST400).<P>I have a 3.42 on my Roadmster and it feels fine in third gear (also 1.00 ratio) on the freeway.<P>I know the Riviera would be a bit more aggressive, but have any of you guys tried that combo firsthand before?<P>The car would be mostly used for street driving with only occasional freeway bursts. <P>Any ideas?

I believe the 3.42 was the "performance" ratio for the Riviera during that time frame. I think that'd be as far as I'd go as the 3.73 and 3.90 (moreso) would put high cruise rpm higher than what would be comfortable and reasonably economical. You could get 3.91 and lower gears in the Skylarks back then, but those particular models did not have highway crusing as a priority, obviously.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

This is just my opinion, but I think more than 3.60 would be to much for a Buick motor. The higher gears keep them in the torque band longer instead of letting them rev. <BR> The 70 Chevelle and the 70 Skylark had 1/4 mile times within .10 of each other, yet the skylark had a 3.60 rear while the chevy had 4.10s. I think both combos were optimized for their engines.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out a thread on v8buick.com under the boatload of fun forum there is a thread on the 9 and 3/8th rear and some info about new gears we are trying to get made. As for your finding the ratio you are looking for new it is all but impossible!! I,like you want a lower gear for launching and then I want an O/drive trans for the hiway!! I've heard lot's of feedback about how Buick's like taller gears. If we find this to be true will just start out in second(HA)<BR>Ed