Repolarization

Daves1940Buick56S

I do not polarize the gen after battery disconnect and reconnect. I always disconnect the battery when the car is in the garage (39 Buick) and have never had to polarize. I polarize after replacing a generator, not usually needed after replacing the regulator. If a car is not charging, I'll polarize the generator as part of the diagnosis procedure after checking the gen for output.

I do not polarize the gen after battery disconnect and reconnect. I always disconnect the battery when the car is in the garage (39 Buick) and have never had to polarize. I polarize after replacing a generator, not usually needed after replacing the regulator. If a car is not charging, I'll polarize the generator as part of the diagnosis procedure after checking the gen for output.

I am trying to check my generator output since I am showing discharge on ampmeter. Can you tell me how you check yours?

Thanks,

I am trying to check my generator output since I am showing discharge on ampmeter. Can you tell me how you check yours?

Thanks,

The shop manual has more details and specs, but basically to test the output of the generator on the 39 buick, hook up a jumper wire between the Field terminal on the regulator (which comes from Field on generator) and ground. This stops the regulator from functioning. Then connect a voltmeter between the Gen contact on the regulator (which comes from the armiture on the gen) and a ground and run the engine. If the gen is putting out, it should show on the voltmeter.

Sleeve-valve: thanks, I had tried the shop manual check and wasn't getting any output and wanted to make sure I was doing the check correctly. Didn't get anything by grounding the Field terminal on generator and putting voltmeter off the Armature terminal, so I took it to be tested/rebuilt today. Also took them the voltage regulator to check.

Thanks again.