Diode for voltage regulator

old-tank

Before you tell me I'm in the wrong forum, a little history: years ago in my quest to have the original 55 regulator in my car I sent the defective one to have it gutted and replaced with solid state components. It worked so well that I had two more done. Since the builder is no longer in business, I looked at one that quit working and found a diode open. I need to replace a diode with the markings 60A 50V P , no part number, this is a stud mount diode. I cannot find one with those exact specs which I assume to be 60 amp, 50volt and positive polarity. A suggestion on a suitable replacement would be nice (Vishay PCS - 70HF10 - Semiconductors - Diodes - Allied Electronics ....is this a candidate?)

More details: the diode is wired between the bat and gen terminals and there is a small circuit board with some transistors, capacitors and resistors wire between the field terminal and ground.

Thanks in advance, Willie

The diode should have a symbol somewhere on the body that looks like an arrow with the tip of the arrow perpendicular to a straight line segment. You want to buy a replacement diode with the same configuration indicated on the side. The replacement diode should have the threaded mounting on the body with the arrow in the same direction as the old one. The anode of the diode is the end where the arrow begins, the cathode of the diode is the end where the arrow ends and meets the perpendicular line. The diode is tested by putting the positive probe of an ohmmeter to the anode and the negative probe to the cathode end. If the diode is good you will see some reading although it will be rleatively low. Reversing the probes should show open circuit. Digital meters have a specific setting for diode checking. The forward current rating is 60 amperes. You want to replace this with a diode rated at 60 amps or above. The 50 v P refers to the peak inverse voltage rating and you want a replacement rated at 50 PIV or higher This diode essentially replaces the old cutout relay by only allowing current to pass when the arrow end is positive relative to the cathode. So by wiring the anode end to the generator armature and the cathode end to the battery terminal, the diode will only allow conduction from the genrator to the battery when the generator voltage is about 0.7 volts higher than the battery voltage. The electronics for the field terminal provide voltage regulation of the generator.

You do not need anything too exotic to replce this diode, I would look through Antique Electronics or other electronics suppliers.

Joe, BCA 33493

Paul, thanks for the link that is already bookmarked. Although they did not have a suitable diode ( unless I used a vacuum tube...would not fit inside the voltage regulator case ), I did find a good price on a 0Z4 tube.

Joe, I am glad you chimed in with some 'words of wisdom'! I though I had found a suitable diode in a voltage regulator for an early Ford that was converted to solid state. The number was 60A 50V N... but the polarity was reversed, so in this case the P and N refers to polarity. I demonstrated that it would work if I reversed the GEN and BAT leads, but that would just confuse me later. I did not find a suitable diode in some old computer power supplies, but managed to grab a heat sink. Thanks again...

Willie