1955 Side Windows

Paul Falabella

Looking to replace side glass on a 55 Roadmaster 4dr. sedan. Is side glass set in rubber in the channel(to regulator)? Same with the vent glass. My vent glass appears to have petrified rubber between the glass and frame. Best way to remove from frame?

Where is this rubber available and what is it called? CARS sells a mohair channel liner,but I'm thinking that's not it.

Guest martylum

Hi-my experience has been that a judicious use of heat from a gun or torch will help to remove the glass from the frames. The gasket could be rubber or a rubberized cork. Restoration Specialties has the glass tape you will use to seat the new glass. It comes in different thicknesses so best to get at least 2 different thicknesses.

Martin Lum

Lay the glass down on a flat, carpeted surface. Take a 2 by 4 block of wood, lay it on top of the glass against the chrome frame, and hammer the block of wood against the chrome frame, near its end. Use a rubber mallet if you are a little unsure of your aim! If you start in the middle, it will not work--have to start at one end of the frame, and if you need to, give the chrome frame a little help with a thin screwdriver inserted between chrome frame and glass.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Get some setting tape thickness samples before you buy what you need. Most glass shops stock it and will give you a couple of inches to try. You want the glass to be snug in the frame without having to over force it. The setting tape gets wrapped around the edges and held with masking tape. I miter notch the corners. Windex is an excellent lubricant for installation. Trim with a new single edge blade for each cut. Don't over do the cutting pressure, a blade can score the glass.......................Bob