Been doing some work on the '50 Desoto.

Guest alperin1

Guest alperin1

Ok, it has been a while since I posted much on the forum and I have done a good bit of work on it. Mostly small stuff but some was a pain.

Here is the original post with photos. http://www.desoto.org/phpbbforum/viewto ... f=1&t=4149

1) I sent the clock out to get it restored and after several months I got it back and installed it. The care did not have a clock so I had to run new wire for it. I put in a 3 AMP fuse it and I think this is wrong as it is for a 12 volt car. The clock is working but it loses time, I will have to play with it to adjust it.

2) Had a bad TEMP gauge and had to pull the dash apart to install the think, I had a spare sitting around from a parts car I had torn apart, this was a difficult job and in the process I used a screw that was too long and it is coming throught the metal dash...grrrrr. Also I scratched the thin paint on the main dash.

3) Installed some new plug wires and plugs and while I was at it installed some cups and covers for the spark plugs. pushing the wires through the plug

covers was not the most fun task but it did get done. Also installed a new cap and rotor.

I think the car is running better but it could just be in my head.

4) My fuel gauge was not working so I purchased new sending unit online from one of the vendors listed here for about $90US and I think it lasted all of two weeks if that. So, I was running around with it broken for a bit. I then saw where some other folks used the sending unit from a Ford the has the same ohm range and the arm for the float is adjustable and it worked fine for them. So I ordered on for $37 US. It took a bit to trim the top to fit the Desoto's opening but it fits and is working. Boy is it nice to know how much fuel you have.

5) Brakes were pulling hard to the right when applied, not good. Visual inspection of shoes showed all was good till I got to the front drivers side and boy was that a mess so what the floor where it was parked. Got a kit for two front wheels and honed the cylinders and did the bleeding and thought i might be ok. Well the wheel cylinders were but the master was a mess. I tried to hone a spare I had sitting around and it was looking good but i just could not clean up a few pits and finally just purchase a new master cylinder. It was very easy to install. Did the bleeding again and had issues with the bleeders on the back wheels, off to the auto store and they has some self bleeders that fit. Whhooo hoooo. Completed the bleeding and took a test drive still some pulling but it was much better. the one set of shoes although cleaned were still soaked and after a bit of time they are much better. The pedal does not alway return and initially I had not spring for it; I installed a spring and it is better but I still have air in the lines as I can pump up the pedal.

6) Had to rerun the wire for the horn as the original was missing some of the insulation. simple task but it took a while to pull the new wire.

7) Had a busted exhaust hanger went and found one in eBay. Had to drill out the old hanger where it was connected to the frame mount and install a nut and bolt to hold the new hanger to the frame mount. The original was a huge rivet.

8.) I installed a 503 heater that I had from my parts car and the thermostat but I have yet to hook up the hoses. I purchase the duct from someone I have dealt with on EBAY. It is thick paper with a thick black coating as close to the real thing as I will get for now. i have the original and it had a few cracks and I may attempt to create one with fiberglass.

I am sure there is more and I will add as I remember.

Congratulations on getting your car all fixed up. Hope you have some nice drives in it. Did you do the major and minor adjustments to the brakes? Major adjustment needed after an overhaul, having them all apart or replacing the linings. Did you clean the linings with brake kleen spray? If they are soaked in brake fluid you may need to buy new ones.

Guest alperin1

I did get a new set of shoes for the front brakes, I do not feel like messing with the C-clips so i have not put them on. That being said, I think the shoes are fine with the stopping that I am not able to do. And I did clean them with some brake spray. I do not think they were wet for that long to be honest.

I did not do the adjustments just yet, I am going to try a minor adjustment and see how it goes.

More than anything I am going to do another bleed to see how this works out; I think this is the highest priority for me. Just waiting for another fine weekend.

You must do the major adjustment first to align the shoes. After that you do a minor adjustment from time to time to take up wear. If the major adjustment is not done the brakes will not work correctly.

I must echo that opinion.

Guest alperin1

What if I did not remove the shoes when I rebuilt and honed the wheel cylinder.......just let it hang. ;)

I guess to do the major I will have to pull the brake drums adjust bolt put the drum on check it and continue this till it is tight but not rubbing. All the while adjusting the smaller cam bolt.