How to clean a 1930's rubberized steering wheel

huptoy

How to clean a 1930's rubberized steering wheel

I have a 31 Hupmobile with a steering wheel that feels like hard rubber.

There is a layer of grudge all over the wheel. When damp from high moisture, it is sticky and will come off onto my hands. It will leave a black mark on cloth, like my pants, when rubbed against.

Has anyone else had this problem & what fixed the problem?

post-41405-143139155592_thumb.jpg

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

Never cleaned one that old but have cleaned some grimy old steering wheels. I use waterless hand cleaner. Not the orange gritty stuff, the old fashioned white creamy kind or the green stuff. Smear it on the wheel and let it soak for a while then wash off with warm water and a rag. It may be necessary to do this several times. When you are done you will have to wash it several times to get the hand cleaner all off.

Have done this on newer plastic and rubber wheels and no harm done. I figure if it won't hurt my hands it won't hurt the steering wheel.

You may end up painting it anyway.

In the olden days we used denatured alcohol to clean the rubber rollers on printing presses...

Hmmm. I've got some press roller cleaning fluid I needed for working with the printing ink I used for wood graining. I might try that stuff on my steering wheel... Thanks for the idea.

Guest miss68xr7

I really hope it works for you, the denatured alcohol also helped to revitalize dried out rubber, good luck and of course try it on a small non noticeable test area first.