To restore or not to restore; that is the question.

Guest TAshcraft

Guest TAshcraft

My grandfather recently gave me the keys to his 1940 Ford Sedan Standard. I'm not a car buff but I am honored more than anyone can imagine. This beauty runs good and the body is in great shape. Should I replace some of the small things like the window handles, radio, antenna, stitch up the interior or just leave it alone? It has a 1950 Flathead from a Ford truck V8 85 Hp. Since some items have already been replaced in the past, will I be deducting some of its worth by replacing some of those parts that wil just look better new? I am NOT interested in selling it but obviously do not want to devalue the car by making unnecessary changes. Open to any and all input. Thanks, this is my first post.

• 2 weeks later...

Value of an old car depends upon the demand for the car. !940 Fords have a large following and there is little difference in price between a restored car and an original car. The Early Ford V-8 Club of America has a Concourse Class called Rouge Division that is devoted to original cars. You can find out more about this class by visiting their web site. Early Ford V-8 Club

I think it depends on," What do you want to do?".

Unless it is a very nice, original, low mileage survivor, do whatever pleases you. Because the 40 has always been a popular car, there are about a jillion of them out there, from junkers to rods to 100 point trailer queens.

If it were mine, I would "fix up" anything that I didn't like about it. No small block Chevy, no IFS, A/C or any, blatantly non stock mods. 40s are great cars and can still be used as everyday drivers, with some consideration to it's, age related, shortcomings

• 5 months later...

Wow, I so know what you feel. I just recently purchased a 42 Ford Fordor. It's so straight, just a lot of surface rust, I can't decide to fix and paint or just seal and drive as is. Everybody keeps telling me to do what will make me happiest with the end result. That has to be the way you go or you will never be totally happy with it.