HELP:Tips on starting an engine after sitting 10 years

Guest njmc

I have had a 67 corvette sitting for a little over 10 years in storage. Ant tips prior to starting ( cylinders/plugs/carbs/brakes etc.

Thought I would ask for help before cranking it! Thanks

I would drop the oil pan, lift the valve rocker covers and clean out all of the old oil as thoroughly as possible, fit a new oil filter and new oil. If you could blow compressed air through the oil ways that would be even better but may not be practical. You want to do whatever you can to ensure that when the motor fires for the first time its getting properly lubricated.

After that clean the points and plugs check that you have a spark, clean out the old fuel from the carb, and put some upper cylinder lube in the fuel. The inside of the fuel tank may need to be cleaned.

Thanks........I just want to take all precautions and get opinions/advise 1st. Appreciate it. Never thought about blowing out the oil drains.............thanks again

You want the oil system primed and delivering oil when you first crank the motor. Blowing the oil galleries out with compressed air is about the worst thing that you could do. Google "priming and oil system" or something similar and you'll find lots of threads on how to do it. Changing the oil and filter is a good idea but blowing out the oil galleries and starting with an unprimed engine is not good. Joe

you should drain the old oil, refill with new oil, install a new oil filter, remove the spark plugs and squirt oil thru the spark plug holes, leave the plugs out, find top dead center for firing number one cylinder, mark distributor and rotor position, remove distributor, record or remember oil pump shaft position, drive oil pump with drill motor and oil pump priming tool. once you have prime the engine with new oil, return oil pump to recorded position, install distributor in recorded or marked position, drain cooling system of old water and anti-freeze, re fill with new water and new anti-freeze. drain old gas from fuel tank and system, refill with new gas, flush the brake system with new brake fluid untill each bleeder valve shows new clear fluid coming thru. you didn't say what transmission you have, if automatic, drain, remove pan, install new trans filter, clean inside of pan, install pan and fill trans with new trans fluid. you should have already replace all coolant hoses, and fuel hose if any. i would now try starting the engine, if it starts, let it idle untill warmed up to operating temp is reached.

With regard to my comment about blowing through the oil lines , I should have added that when starting an engine for the first time after a rebuild or a long stand I always crank it over on the starter with the ignition off until it has oil pressure.

you should drain the old oil, refill with new oil, install a new oil filter, remove the spark plugs and squirt oil thru the spark plug holes, leave the plugs out, find top dead center for firing number one cylinder, mark distributor and rotor position, remove distributor, record or remember oil pump shaft position, drive oil pump with drill motor and oil pump priming tool. once you have prime the engine with new oil, return oil pump to recorded position, install distributor in recorded or marked position, drain cooling system of old water and anti-freeze, re fill with new water and new anti-freeze. drain old gas from fuel tank and system, refill with new gas, flush the brake system with new brake fluid untill each bleeder valve shows new clear fluid coming thru. you didn't say what transmission you have, if automatic, drain, remove pan, install new trans filter, clean inside of pan, install pan and fill trans with new trans fluid. you should have already replace all coolant hoses, and fuel hose if any. i would now try starting the engine, if it starts, let it idle untill warmed up to operating temp is reached.

Thanks everyone for your comments........appreciate the help, and hopefully everything will go well

To add to what pontiac1953 mentioned, keep turning the oil pump with the drill motor until you see oil coming to ALL the rocker arms. Then you will know the engine is primed. Put some tape on the firewall and turn the engine by hand and point the distributor rotor to it and mark the position this will make it easier to reinstall.