Source for Huge Negative wire?

rockitdoc

I need a source for the large (0/1 ga?) wire that connects the negative battery (6volt) terminal to the starter for a '41 Continental/Zephyr. Or is this something I need to fabricate? It's my father's car and it is in NC. I'm in CO. I can fab the piece, but it would be easier if the cable was already fabricated and I could just take it with me and bolt it up.

Thanks, in advance.

S

• 2 weeks later...

I got the one I'm using from Vintage Auto Warehouse in Frederick, MD. I did have a problem with the terminal end that goes to the starter solenoid as the end was ony crimped. I had a one volt loss which gave the starter a problem. I peeled back about 1/4 inch of insulation at the end and dug out the insulation inside the connector, then I soldered it with my torch and filled the connector with solder. Then I put a couple of layers of shrink wrap tubing around the end and that fixed it. You could also use electrical tap to cover the exposed area going in the connector. There are auto electrical shops that can make up the cables, they usually use welding cables like on welding outfits which are heavy and flexible. Electrical building wire isn't suitable as it's too stiff and hard to install properly. Hope that helps! Ray:cool: