New guy with an old Dodge

Guest pappy

OK. So here are a couple shots of the compartment in a '36 Sedan. I would suspect the coloring setup would be very similar. Just keep in mind the whole engine block was fully constructed before being painted silver - not like these photos.

post-67404-143139154236_thumb.jpg

That means the water pump, bypass hose, fan pulley, intake/exhaust manifolds, head w/head gasket, and transmission with clutch bell housing were all in place and painted silver at the same time. So the bypass hose, edges of head gasket, manifold gaskets, water pump gaskets, timing chain cover gaskets and all parts on transmission & hand brake setup (except the handles and levers) were all painted silver too.

The steering column & linkages, starter, pedal arms & linkages, master cylinder, generator, fan, radiator, horns, spark plug wire loom, oil dip stick handle, oil fill cap, air cleaner, road draft filter canister (if equipped), shifter lever, hand brake lever were all painted a semi gloss black. The firewall in '36's was a semi-gloss black BUT I think in '38 they started painting the firewall body color.

All hardware is a dark color but not black. Must have been some kind of "treatment", either a heat treatment or cadmium or such that gave it a "darker than steel" look. (The hardware on the block, of course, is painted silver also).

This all should be real close for the '38's also. Maybe one of the '38 guys with an un-restored car can speak up if I have any of this wrong please.

post-67404-143139154224_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could really use the door strikers ( the part on the jamb the latch engages) Hood latches, window tracks, all glass, wing window assemblies and probably more I haven't thought of yet.

Guest Shayne B

Hi there - I'm posting here because you guys seem to be very knowledgable.

I'm wondering if I can have some advice on 27 Dodge (Australian) Engine is in good nick. I've just put in the magneto but am wondering how to find top dead centre - is there a mark somewhere to ensure the spark happens at the right time? Additionally, I've heard people talk about retarding and advancing the spark timing? Do I need to worry about this with a magneto. It is 1927? Dodge A106449 - It has the starter motor generator combined thingy. (This is a 12 Volt system?)

Thanks for any help. I don't want to attempt starting until I've talked to people who know these things in detail.

Cheers

Shayne