Questions on paint?

Mutt's37Buick

I have some questions about paint on a 1937 Buick Roadmaster (model 81):

1) Can anyone recommend a paint and color that would best match the original paint of the FRAME and CONTROL ARMS?

2) Should the firewall be painted to match the overall paint color of the body for car to be original?

3) Was the bottom of the body originally painted to match the overall color of the body.

3) I found a chart (see attached) that gives original Duco colors. Is there a cross reference that matches the original 37 Buick colors to a current manufacturer?

Thanks

post-74328-143139110991_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mutt's37Buick (see edit history)

Old formula charts will be useless in getting your paint mixed. Have your painter call the PPG Color Library. If you have the name of a color used in '37 they can likely help you out. They helped us out with a paint formula for a '37 Buick just several months ago in fact.

The body, as received from Fisher, is painted in a semi-gloss primer. When painted in color, only the visible areas (when the body is mounted on the chassis) are painted, including the firewall. The firewall is painted as far down as one can see when viewed with the hood is opened. The only body color paint on the bottom of the body is over-spray when the sides are painted.

Grandpa

Guest Grant Magrath

Grandpa is correct as usual! It matches what I found under the coupe and my 39 Chevy, although the Chevy was assembled in NZ, so I couln't be sure.

Cheers

Grant

Thanks for the info.

1) Can anyone tell me the color the semi gloss primer was that used by fisher?

2) For a frame off restore, do professional restorers paint the bottom of the body with primer and overspray, or paint the bottom of body fully the body color?

Thanks

The attached picture of a 1941 Buick Roadmaster Sedan (model 71) shows how Buick painted the firewall. Note the recessed area on the firewall for the engine clearance. What looks like a shadow at the lower portion of the recessed area is actually the end of the body color paint application.

Grandpa

post-52807-143139114151_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

I have found black primer under our cars. It was quite a thin application, and quite flakey.

What are you restoring the car for? Competition? Yourself? Driver? Most people restore cars better than new as far as I'm aware. Tell us what you want the end result to be!

Cheers

Grant