Time typical paint - legislation in the states ?

Vifa

Hi,

I have been working on the interior of my Dodge Wayfarer 1949 and everything is out of the car now. I began primarily to check for rust, but I have got around to fix the radio, repair the seats and polished all the chrome parts - a lot of small things.

However, I did discover some rust at the bottom when I got the carpet and seats out of the car. I want to get this fixed and repainted, but it should be with a time typical paint.

Earlier this year I was searching for a time typical enamel paint to touch up some small spots on the exterior, but came to find out that no one is allowed to use these old single-component paints anymore - at least not here in Europe due to legislation.

How are the legislation in the States ? - will I be able to source some paint through the States ?

post-84129-143139106986_thumb.jpg

Best Regards

Vifa

I've heard that in California it is very restricted what the home/hobbyist can use for paint. In Connecticut I don't know of any impending legislation to head things in that direction. I can still buy lacquer, enamel and the newer urethanes here.

Guest DodgeKCL

Canada,at least Ontario, has gone to low VOCs. It means a lot of the 'old' enamels and laquers are gone because they have too much volatile thinners in them. Even the 2 part professional paints now have "low VOC" hardeners. The guys at CarQuest told me that a crew came in one day and literally pulled all their old stock paint out of their inventory to change it over to water based. Finito,zip,gone,over and out. But there is still some companies still allowed to put out old style paints. Don't know why. But a large dept. store here,Canadian Tire, does still sell paints that have to be cleaned up with thinners. I found out if the label says to clean up with thinners then it is not water based. (Makes sense.:) )But you seem to have your choice of buying water based or thinners based as they sell a variety of water based AND thinners based paints. I tried the water based stuff for the odd job around the house but it's crap. I do understand all Canadian automotive production has for some years been water based. I'm told the clear coat that goes chalky after a few years on all our cars is a result of a water based system. We make a lot of cars for the U.S. here so I assume the Yanks will be having the same problems.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)