PLYMOUTH FLATHEAD SIX, CLUTCH THROW-OUT BEARING.

Guest 37Plymouthguy

Guest 37Plymouthguy

Hi Mopar folks,

I recently bought a new clutch throw-out bearing for my 1937 Plymouth, but I can't figure out how to replace the old bearing. How is the bearing attached to the bearing-holder, or whatever it's called? Is the bearing heated to expand the old bearing? If so, what temperature should it be heated to, in order to remove it? Also, what temperature should the new bearing be heated to without ruining it? Thanks for your help. Willard Crawford

I believe it's a press fit and no heat should be used. I usually use a correct size socket and a press to press it off of what I refer to as the throwout bearing (or clutch release bearing) collar.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I believe it's a press fit and no heat should be used. I usually use a correct size socket and a press to press it off of what I refer to as the throwout bearing (or clutch release bearing) collar.

Lacking a hydraulic press, that is the type of thing I usually hand off to the machine shop located behind my "local better auto supply" store. Seems like simply pressing off the old bearing and pressing on the new should only run in to the pocket change price range.

Guest 37Plymouthguy

Okay, thanks keiser31, I'll try it. Willard