Steel Rims

Guest 65purps

Guest 65purps

Hello everyone im looking for steel rims for my 65 Rivi. I finally got my hands on the spoke caps but now I need rims. I'm in CA If that matters. Thank you.

Unless you're bolting on a set of 63/64 cast aluminum wheel covers, you can probably use any GM steel wheel. Chevy 1/2 ton pickups (five bolt), Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and large Chevy (Impala) all came with 5" x 5" bolt circles at one time or another. Most wheels are 5-1/2" wide, but you can find some 6" ones. Wheel width was determined by tire size when the car was ordered. (at least in '63 which is what I'm most familiar with.)

7.10 x 15 = 5-1/2" wheel

7.60 x 15 = 6" wheel

If you happen to find the steel wheels from a 63 / 64 Riviera, the center hole will be too large. You'll need to check the center holes on the other wheels as well, if they're not the correct size, the wheel will ride on the wheel studs/lug nuts rather than on the register ring (center hole) and the hubs. Nothing really wrong with that, there are lots of guys running 65 and later Formula Five rally wheels on their 63's and 64's - held in place with the lug nuts.

Just make sure that you get all four with the same width, back spacing, and offset. Your wheel covers will cover up the rest.

Ed

Guest 65purps

Thank you both for the info. I didn't realize it was gana be harder to find rims for the hard to find 65 hubcaps. I'll keep on looking.

Watch for rims that have a recess for the brake drum rivets. I was able to use GM Astro Van rims to tow the car, but the rim didnt fit flush against the drum because they didnt have space for those rivets. So I would look for a period correct rim. something from a 60s car

The early Astro rims are 15x6.5in with a 3 5/8in backspacing vs. the 3 3/8in on the Rivera. This means they will work but you'll need spacer to keep the tires from rubbing on the frame at full lock. This does however mean that the typical 1/4in spacers which have both the 5x5in and 5x4.75in pattern in them, will clear the drum rivets much like Steelman's dual bolt pattern wheels do. They also will not fit over the 63-64 wheel hubs (again without spacers) due to the much larger hub register on the early wheels. You can buy a custom made spacer with both a 5x5in boltpattern, a second 5x5in set of indentations for the drum rivets, and both the hub and wheel registered machined into them. Since they are so thin, they ought not to cost too much.

I have pushed a Riviera wheel cover onto one though it takes tweaking the mounting "claws" a bit.

Just so you'll know exactly what I have and what you'll be getting, I'll send you a couple of pictures. I'll weigh them and calculate S&H to your zip.

Send me a PM with your full name, complete street address, city, state, and ZIP and I'll let you know how much and a paypal account. Give me an email address in the PM as well; I'll attach the pictures to an email.

Ed

Guest 65purps

Thanks to everyone for the info and help. Thanks Rivnut for the offer of the 2 rims, but I will be passing on them. I was able to find a whole set of steel rims from Tim at Rivi Central here in California.

Guest 4 bufords

watch out for the back space on the wheels,my 62 buick had some non buick wheels and the tire on the left front had a nice gouge about a quarter of an inch deep,0 clearance. put a set from my 63 on last night and a whole lot better now should have caught this sooner,ruined a nice michelin tire. good luck,4 bufords from ct