Front hub assembly replacement

waltmail

I am quite anxious to replace the front hub assembly on my '89. After reading the tutorial on Ronnie's site, I attempted to rent/borrow the puller tool, as mentioned in the tutorial. I have now been told by 4 different sources that since it is a bolt on item, the tool is not needed. Is this true?

I changed the tutorial on hub replacement sightly to make it clearer what the purpose of the puller is.

To break the axle loose from the hub I just screw the axle nut on the end of the axle so it will be flush with the end of the axle to protect the treads and bump the end of the axle with a large hammer. I've never needed to use the special puller. I don't say that in the tutorial because someone would end up messing the threads up on their axle or drive the axle into the transmission too far and blame me. In areas where corrosion and rust is a problem using the puller might be necessary to get the axle to break loose from the splines in the hub.

I changed the tutorial on hub replacement sightly to make it clearer what the purpose of the puller is.

To break the axle loose from the hub I just screw the axle nut on the end of the axle so it will be flush with the end of the axle to protect the treads and bump the end of the axle with a large hammer. I've never needed to use the special puller. I don't say that in the tutorial because someone would end up messing the threads up on their axle or drive the axle into the transmission too far and blame me. In areas where corrosion and rust is a problem using the puller might be necessary to get the axle to break loose from the splines in the hub.

Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for the tutorial. I have used your tutorials for other projects and find them invaluable.