Looking for vacuum diagram

Guest tbutter

Guest tbutter

Looking for vacuum diagram under dash and engine compartment non a/c 1962 oldsmobile starfire. any help?

Thanks Tom

:cool:

I don't know that there would be a dedicated vacuum hose routing diagram per se, but very possibly some "assembly diagrams" in the Olds chassis service or body service manuals. www.wildaboutcars.com has a huge amount of Oldsmobile information in that free-to-register website. The Illustrated Parts and Accessories "parts book" would also have some illustrations for various under-dash components. There might also be some for the various specific underhood components, too.

For a '62 car, I would suspect the underhood vacuum hoses would be pretty straightforward. Vac to distributor, vac to hvac system, vac to brakes, and possibly something else which was optional equipment (like the power trunk release). I would suspect the only underdash vacuum hoses would be related to the hvac system . . . or the pushbutton switch for the power trunk release, in the glove compartment. Maybe even a vacuum-release parking brake?

You might also find some road test pictures of the underhood area, which might need to be enlarged to see the details!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

You can find that info in the service manual (I think it is in the 61 manual and not the 62 supplement). I am redoing all the vac hoses for the summer ventilation and heater stuff in the dash, as well as the stuff in the engine compartment. I think I may have a diagram around here somewhere that gives the color codes and the numbers to where they attach in the control units. It is hard to see the numbers in the actual control units unless you take them out of the dash. I took my stuff out, regreased them, and now they operate much better. I hope to put them back in soon after I get a new heater switch. Most of the time, if your hoses are still the orig ones, the color paint stripes will be gone or almost gone by now. Be sure to replace the nylon hose Ts since they are very brittle too (I cracked one by accident just by bumping it).

NTX5467: The 61-62 olds heater controls all ran off of vacuum lines coming from the fuel pump (If you had extra options, like trunk release etc, you got the "soup can" on the firewall that held extra vacuum). The controls are a PAIN IN THE BUTT since you have about 20 ft of lines to redo. A leak somewhere or a misplaced hose in a control unit throws everything off! Vacuum even turns a master switch on that powers the blower fan in the heater box. Kind of a weird setup but very high tech for its time :)

Let me see if I can find it. It was a copy out of a 61 service manual. The copy of the service manual I bought was all in black and white. If I can't find my picture I post a link to where I found the info. It was a HUGE HELP believe me!!

OK here ya go!! Where the picture cuts off near the green colored vacuum hose toward the top right, there are 2 bigger black hoses (which are the heater core hoses) and a smaller black hose. The smaller black hose is going to the fuel pump, where the vacuum is created for the whole heater system. If you need any other info let me know. :)

post-55097-143139099138_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest francop

Hi, perhaps do you have this diagram for cars with Air Conditioning? I have a 1962 Ninety Eight and the Air Conditioning System was rebuild but the guy just don't know how to put the vacuum lines to work. Cheers And thank to accept in the forum!

Edited by francop (see edit history)

• 4 years later...
Guest Carcoyote

Viper771 I have a 1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 no A/C and need a vacuum diagram like the one you posted for tbutter.  It would be great if you have one.  Hoses got rotten and fell off and I don't know where the hose colors go 1-7 on the heater control.  The part pictured below.

20170302_175901.jpg