FWD 5.3

Seth Rose

Has anyone on here kicked around the idea of putting a 5.3 v8 out of a newer Impala or Monte Carlo in a Reatta? Ive been thinking about it the gauges wouldn't work but I am ok with that. I heard of some people putting northstars in a reatta this would be about the same thing just a newer engine.

I don't know enough about the 5.3l to know if such a swap would be physically possible. I do know the Cadillac 4.9L PFI V8 has been swapped into a Reatta before. This was made considerably easier by the fact that it uses the same transmission as the 91 Reatta (4T60E) so there is less need for custom work insofar as CV axles and such. Still need to do some electronic magic to retain the stock instrumentation, but there are tuner outfits that can accommodate that.

Of course, the transmission would be the key issue for such a swap anyway. The 3800 (and Caddy 4.9) operated at pretty much the limits of the standard 4T60(E) so going turbo/supercharged required building up the stock tranny to be heavy duty. I've no idea what is typically mated the the Chevy 5.3 these days, as I do not really pay attention to newer cars. If the tranny used with the 5.3 could be fitted, then you would be in business. I imagine a lot of custom work is involved (mounts, axles, placement of accessories, etc.) to shoehorn that setup into a Reatta.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

The distance between the front wheels on both cars are almost exactly the same there is like a tenth of an inch difference I think I'd have to look again and as for getting it in the car I knew there would have to be some custom mounts made and I would most likely try to use the same transmission that is already with the motor. With a plasma cuter and a good welder and a little bit of time I think it could be done and I don't think there would be much shoehorning but I cant be sure with out measuring and comparing the dimensions of the motors but I think it might be worth looking into and thought I would ask to see if anyone had already beat me to it .

Ex-member Recian was contemplating this swap a while back. Ended up just overhauling his current 3800. Rebored to 3900, tons of beefed up engine components, docked heads, the whole bit.

Check his old posts and see if you can dig something up.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

The issue you will most likely run into is clearance fo r the heads. If you want to go that far I would go with a S2 SC engine as it will fit and the aftermarket and go fast parts are easy to find. Pluss you can keep all the gauges working and can use the original ECM/BCM, with a re tune.

Guest jimmyk

What I remember about comparisons of the 3800 vs 5.3 is that the 5.3 was lighter but about 75# than the 3800. Both were installed in GM 'W' bodies, so they 'should' be nearly interchangeable space-wise. Not to highjack this thread, but what about the GM 3.6L? It's equipped with 6 speed trans. Probably either way would be to transplant drivetrain, cradle and all into a Reatta.

I have always liked sixes, they are just a more efficient design than an 8 and with 3.6 liter N/A engines pushing 300 hp and 30 mpg do not see any reason for "more". Now the 3800 was an superb example of a iron block pushrod engine but frankly that is soooo last century, a modern six has DOHC for VVI and VVE on an alloy base (wonder what happened to composite engines).

Personally plan to be lazy and stay with the 3800 in mine with just ignition upgrade and diddling to run about 10% cooler, any thing else (so far) would fail a cost/benefit analysis.