Reatta used in commercial

Bushwack

Here’s the abbreviated version of having my cars used for TV/movie/commercial productions (based on a mention in an earlier thread - http://forums.aaca.org/f116/brake-lights-wont-turn-off-331783.html).

20+ years ago, I ‘rented’ out my first collector car for a TV pilot (don’t recall the name but it was a take-off of the old Mannix series). Back then it was $100-150/day. I sent out cars for a few years thereafter until I had a couple bad experiences (damaged wheel and a rear windshield smashed to itsy bitsy pieces by a boom). No problem getting reimbursed for damages but the time involved for the process wore on me as did the Hollywood experience.

Fast forward last June 3rd at the Reatta Rally. I was walking the car show, made small talk with a guy who is a production scout. After some chit-chat, we exchanged phone numbers. He called me a few days later asking if I had any convertibles for a shoot. E-mailed pictures of what I had and he wanted the white Reatta (which I already knew). It has been a few years since my last ‘shoot’. So…Brian sent me a contract. Hashed a few things out (assisted by an attorney) and three days later it was a done deal.

I know of a 1930s Lincoln that was recently rented out for $2,800/day (for 9 days) for a shoot and still pictures. I negotiated $600/day, use of Craft services and had the shared use of a trailer for lounging/napping. The experience was more interesting than from a few years ago (times have changed!).

I chaperoned the car the first and last day while my nephew was on set for three days (leaving the car alone is like giving your house keys to strangers before going on an extended vacation). The shoot was along the various bridges you see in most police dramas shoot at in L.A. (just east of downtown - The 6th Street Bridge). It’s not easy chaperoning a car (time consuming) and can’t always be done. Most times you want a rep in place not just in case of damages but if car is used beyond contractual obligations (i.e. still photography vs video).

I’ve also finalizing renting my Caprice convertible for a shoot in August around Fox Air Field in northern L.A. County. They will flatbed the car from my location for a four day shoot ($950/day) that involves the car cruising along various streets. Rental is higher because car will be driven and type of car. I also have an inquiry for my Stingray for a pilot being shot by Showtime. I should know more within a few days.

There are car collectors locally that rent out from their collection (I know of a local BCA member). Many are retired folks on a semi-fixed income (i.e. ultra conservative investment portfolio) of which every extra bit helps. Similar to retired cops who provide assistance on movie/TV shoots.

Footnote: Back in the day, I’d take photos of a car for documentation before each shoot. Now it’s a detailed video log (takes about 15 minutes) which I also burn on a CD and send to the production assistant to OK before car goes out on a shoot. Still learning of expectations that differ from years ago. Nowadays, there are a couple businesses which large selections of cars of all eras (in various conditions) that supply vehicles for various shoots. Such businesses didn’t exist 25 years ago. Lastly, its necessary to check with your collector car insurance carrier if coverage would be in affect during a shoot. The production company does take the primary insurance position but ya never know what could happen.

That is really fun!

There are car collectors locally that rent out from their collection (I know of a local BCA member). Many are retired folks on a semi-fixed income (i.e. ultra conservative investment portfolio) of which every extra bit helps. Similar to retired cops who provide assistance on movie/TV shoots.

After he retired, my uncle in L.A. would occasionally drive dignitaries around in his '69 Electra convertible for fun and a few extra bucks. His spotless 1976 Century station wagon appeared in the Dukes of Hazzard movie too. (I keep meaning to rent the movie, but keep finding other things to do with my time...) I think his connections were also through the L.A. BCA chapter - of which he was a member for many years before his passing.