Shifter Rod Boot

kdml

Guest rsmalling

A few years ago I replaced mine and matched it up to master cylinder push rod boot. I have a friend who resleeves masters and he has a big assortment, sorry I dont know what year and model I used.

Thanks Ed - will search for dust boots

I took some quick measurements and the inside diameter of the boot is 2.5" and the shifter rod is 3/8"

Rob, will post up when I find something that works.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

The boot in the above appears to have a rectangular hole for the shifter rod. I replaced the one on my 65 but I believe I used a late 60's Camaro shifter boot but the hole was too large and I installed a piece of rubber tubing around the shifter rod and held it in place with a couple of zip ties. It's not correct but it did seal up that area.

Quick update...

Still haven't settled on a dust boot, but did find this site with lots of choices. Each boot has a design print with measurements. Just need to find some time to go through each one to find something close. Probably going to choose one with the correct size hole at the top, that I could cut down to size, as the clamp will hold the bottom. Will post up results when I have one.

http://www.rubberstore.com/catalog/convoluted-rubber-bellows-c-21_22.html

Thanks

Doug

Anyone have a source for the boot that goes over the shifter rod on a '65 Riviera (see picture in red)?

Thanks

Doug, I see you removed the shifter bolts in the photo. Did that myself. Pay close attention to the position of the shifter when re-installing the console. There is probably something in the manual that I missed, but it is critical to the shift points and to the console trim that the shifter is positioned correctly. Ever since I put mine back in, I noticed that it doesn't go into Park very well (meaning the shifter is a tad too far back), and it now caresses the trim plate when I move it (meaning a tad too far left.). Also, it is a tad crooked. By the time I noticed, all the hard word of re-installing the console had already been done. Not looking forward to taking it all back apart to move the shifter a tad.

Let us know which boot you decide and what it takes to install.

Chuck,

Thanks for the advice. I am not looking forward to the interior reassembly, as it will be the last part of the long build and much of the interior was removed before I bought the car; so who knows what's missing.

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

Finally picked up a dust boot. Bought it from The Rubber Store. It was part number BT1124. Here is a link:

BT-1124 | Rubber Bellow Neoprene Multi-Convoluted Dust Boot

It seemed to fit well. The small end was a little tight, but a quick filing with a round file fixed it. The price was right, but keep in mind that the shipping cost more than the boot.

Doug

post-64567-143139142859_thumb.jpg