Help with a '53 New Yorker carb

Guest eduhernan

Guest eduhernan

Hello,

This is my first post. I have a friend who owns a really beautiful 1953 Chrysler New Yorker, it's restored but stopped for some years, and now we are refreshing it. I'm from the Canary Islands, from Spain, it's a little far from this Chrysler home but thanks to internet now this is not a problem.

The issue that we're having we think it comes from the carburetor. It's a Carter WCD 935S. First the car failed to start when cold, and then it needed a long time warm-up procces before accelerating or run with it, because it stoped. I've checked the choke and now it runs cold good, with a exemplary iddle run, disconecting when warmed up, but when accelerating it hesitates a bit, and the exhaust expulses black smoke, so I think is too much gas.

Do anyone have a spec sheet or a diagramm in order to know all carburetor components and its function? I've thinked about buying a new gasket set, but the only I found is for a Carter 2039S, it says 1953 Chrysler V8, but I don't know it both carburetor are the same or similars. Or even if there's another place to find a gasket set for the WCD 935S.

Here is a pic of the car. We're keeping it as original as posible, according too with owner's whims. Hope you like it!

Thanks in advance,

post-86622-143139086751_thumb.jpg

A nice car

it's restored but stopped for some years,

Have you drained all the fuel & put new fuel in it ?

May have water condensation - bad fuel in the tank

You may find some inforamtion here: The Old Car Manual Project

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest eduhernan

Thanks! the car now has new fuel, so I think this is not the problem. I just want to know all carburetors-elements and its function. There are some items with electric cables that I don't know what they really do, and maybe that's the cause.

The electrical wires are for the transmission control system. The carburetor also has hot water passages for quick warm up in cold weather.

You really need to buy a repair manual. It has all the information you need and will pay for itself very quickly. They can be bought on Ebay, and from old car manual dealers.

Guest eduhernan

Ok, maybe one of these hot water passages is always open so warmed up the car, the iddle is too rich. I've found the manual on Ebay, thanks!