Wanted: Hubcap for 1922 Studebaker EK

I have a few of these - none are perfect. I'll try to take a couple of pictures in the next couple of days.

Scott

Guest stude8

post-31139-143139084939_thumb.jpg

The aluminum "Hexagon" hub caps Studebaker used came in a number of different thread sizes and colors, you will need to accurately measure your wheel hubs for correct diameter and threads per inch. The attached photos are of several I have in my wall display collection and are 3 different sizes, from the left to right the sizes are 2.680" ID (For 2-5/8" hub); 3.060" ID (For 3-1/16" hub) and the 4 bolt flange cap is 3.227" ID *Does not thread onto hub. All threaded caps are 16 TPI (threads per inch). Another variable is the "S" letter color that was different for certain models, Red on some, Green or Black on others. Also the background color around the raised square pad the "S" character sits on was Black on some and Green on others. *I believe there is one more threaded cap size not shown here but I don't have a sample? These are from the mid 1920's era, earlier cars in the teens had smaller diam brass and chromed caps.

I hope this helps you find the correct size for your 1922 EK, the paint colors can always be redone with an artists brush.

Stude8

post-31139-143139084928_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Thought I'd add photo of the earlier Brass & Aluminum Studebaker Hexagon hup caps from "Teen's Era" for comparison. The threaded ID measures 2.550" so the hub they fit is probably 2-9/16" diam and they are 16 TPI.

Stude8

post-31139-143139084945_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd add photo of the earlier Brass & Aluminum Studebaker Hexagon hup caps from "Teen's Era" for comparison. The threaded ID measures 2.550" so the hub they fit is probably 2-9/16" diam and they are 16 TPI.

Stude8

Thanks for the pictures of the various Studebaker hubcaps. The one I need is pictured below. It is made of aluminum, and has hexagon on it with the apexes connected with lines. Its ID is approximately 2 5/8". My 1921 EG and 1922 EK both use these hubcaps.

Tom

post-45585-143139084979_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Sorry to say but your car has non-Studebaker after market replacement hub caps on it, all Studebakers have the letter "S" or the word "Studebaker" spelled out on the hub caps. The ones with a decorative "X" or other characters were sold by aftermarket supply houses like Warshawski Bros in Chicago and other cities.

Attached is a photo of a 1922 EK Studebaker a friend owns and you can see what the correct hub cap looks like on it.

Stude8

post-31139-14313908536_thumb.jpg

John (stude8);

That “star” cap was indeed original equipment on all 1921 Big Six model EG as well as the Special Six EL (though the latter had a smaller i.d.). I am including below a photo of a 1921 model Big Six EG touring. This one of several original 8X10 publicity photos I have showing this year and model…..all have the “star” type screw on cap.

As for the ’22 two different caps were offered. The early models had a hexagonal red line around the edge of the cap (part #105499). The later models used part # 105979 and it had the red letter “S” in a black background like that shown in the photo of your friend’s car.

If Tom (i.e. 1922bigsix) needs only one cap that means he likely has three of the star type that fit just fine so finding one more of these would be a much easier task than trying to find four of the type that was originally used on the ’22. And who is really going to know the difference??

post-30776-143139085752_thumb.jpg

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

Guest stude8

Dick (studeq)

The Maroon 1922 EK touring was bought by Mort Huber a few years ago at Hershey PA because it is a very low mileage original car having been owned by one family since new up to that time. The hub caps on it are thought to be the originals it came with. The Studebaker factory parts catalogs I have from 1924 on only illustrate hub caps in line art outline fashion as viewed from front to rear and never show the outer face view of the decorative side shape. Living on Social Security income I can't afford to buy the factory blue prints of hub caps like 125157 to see what pattern they show to the outside.

I remember about 20 years ago at the Grays Lake, IL spring swap meet a guy had a 55 gallon drum filled with NOS aluminum spin on hub caps of many diam's he had obtained from a Warshawski auction of their old stock and there were many star and hex patterns without a manufacturer name or logo, just plain neutral caps to replace lost factory caps on early cars during WWII period when scrap metal drives consumed spare originals.

Stude8

I think if you will re-read my statement in the previous post you will see I am concurring with you re the caps on Mort's '22 as being original to that car.

As for the ’22 two different caps were offered. The early models had a hexagonal red line around the edge of the cap (part #105499). The later models used part # 105979 and it had the red letter “S” in a black background like that shown in the photo of your friend’s car.

His caps would be the late '22 caps i.e. part #105979. These however are NOT the same caps as used on the 1923-24 or the 1921 EG. However they may actually fit either car.

Tom,

My illustrated parts manuals show:

105499 (hex red line around the cap) for the 1922 EK - described only

105979 (red "S" in black background) for the 1922, 1923, 1924 EK - described and illustrated

105980 (blue "S" in black background) for 1922, 1923, 1924 EL - described and illustrated

105500 (six black stripes in blue background) for 1922 EL - described and illustrated

The 105979 and 105980 are identical except for the paint color.

I have all three styles but only photographed what I thought you would be interested in (a single part with the six stripes, collection of "S" style with the best 4 on the left).

Send me an e-mail if interested.

Scott

smrdeza@power-net.net

post-66547-14313908662_thumb.jpg

Slightly off topic, but your pics brought to mind the quandary I have over restoring or replacing my 1928 GB wire-wheel hubcaps (pictured). What a sorry sight they are! Please, can anyone advise me. I've thought about making some woodblock moulds on which to hammer them back to shape. I don't know whether they're aluminium or some sort of alloy, but they can sure take a lot of punishment!

Brian

post-58708-1431390916_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...