Need ID on Czech registered car

Guest bill murray

Guest bill murray

Hi All:

I am trying to ID this vehicle. Photo taken in Prague CZ in the beginning of WW2.

In my research, the majority of these "limousine/taxi" conversions were made on Chevrolet chassis, especially the Chevrolet Imperial.

This photo has a few matches for a GM product but too many things do not match. GM products had vent windows in the front doors, this one does not. The shape of the fenders is not GM nor is the shape of the body side mouldings.

Based on these thoughts and the fact that the tail lamps are typical of Chrysler products of the mid 1930s as are the parking lamps and the rear bumper style, I have tentatively ID'd the car as a 1935 Chrysler with some sort of coachbuilt body perhaps.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Billpost-75348-143139078253_thumb.jpg

It could be one of the larger Opels. They are/were owned by GM and u can see GM styling features in their cars. It has a gas producer so it is war time. They used to heat up/burn coke or charcoal and run the engine on the gas that was produced. Those are the fuel bags on the roof.

What are the black lines under the wheels?

Manuel in Oz

Guest bill murray

Hi guys:

Really interesting that the two replies to my question come from Oz and New Zealand, a long way from Czechoslovakia...............

After several hours of looking at almost everything from Auburn to Yellow Cab and in between, I have settled for myself anyway, on a

1936 Dodge as my most likely candidate.

The body side mouldings match, the design of the fender well for the spare tire works, the window layout with no vent wings and no split in the rear door window and the rather small rear window also work. As well, the shape of the boot and the bumpers are about the same on a Dodge.

As always, I could be wrong but this is the best I can do so far. Here is a not too good shot of a similar car.

Bill

post-75348-143139080695_thumb.jpg

I see now the extra side moulding that the GM cars do not have - http://pics.imcdb.org/0is573/car3m.9431.jpg - I guess it has to be a Dodge because it has a one piece rear window whereas the very similar long wheelbase Chrysler Airstream C8 has a two piece window. Another clue is the awkward mounting of the spare wheel. It has odd rear wheels and the tail lights are mounted differently and the rear bumper is also not a match but I guess they may have been altered for local purposes.

Guest bill murray

Thanks pepcak:

I sent a PM to John Keiser who posted on that thread and seems to know a lot about 1936 Dodges to see if he could help.

Regarding your smiley about knowledge about American cars in the former Czechoslovakia, I appreciate the humour but would also have to say there are some folks who do have some knowledge.

In fact, I have a fair bit of stuff myself, not only "normal" American cars used there but also a lot of special vehicles built by Sodomka and other coachbuilders in Czechoslovakia. My own hobby is the history of wheeled military transport vehicles 1935-1945 and as such I also have a huge amount of materiel on Praga/Skoda/Tatra cars and trucks of that period.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers

Bill

I have been studying this photo for days and it seems that the car does have some 1936 DB traits, it looks to be a larger car. It may be a Chrysler Airstream with a limo or ambulance body, hence the lower mounted taillights. The DBs did not have the fender mounted parking lights. The front looks "Buick-like" to me from what I can see from the side view. The rear bumper looks like a 1939 Plymouth bumper with 1936 DB guards. Still trying to figure out what may be under the tires where it is blacked out. Interesting Euro-style fuel mod on the rear. The rear fenders have a much more crisp corner at the wheel opening than a '36 DB has.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)