Must have tools for maintaining a classic?

Guest Jknodell

Guest Jknodell

I recently purchased a 1950 Chevy Styleline for my fiancée as an engagement present. It is in pretty sound mechanical condition.

We live in a big city(Montreal) so space is limited. And due to the relocation here, I no longer have any real tools.

I want to create a basic tool kit that would fit in the trunk.

If you were stranded on a desert island or...highway as it were... What tools would you absolutely need to keep your old car moving down the road?

Specific wrench or socket sizes? Specialty tools? Fluids? I want to be as compact as possible, but still be able to do routine maintenance and repairs.

Thanks for an ideas!

Jonathan

What I would do is buy a Sears Mechanics Tool Set, probably the 154 piece version. It includes a plastic toolbox. Remove all the Metric tools - you won't need them for your 1950 Chevy. That should include all your ratchets, sockets and extensions. That's 90% of what you need.

Then, buy a smaller hydraulic jack - about $50. It's small, about 2 feet long but will lift your car if needed. Don't get a bottle jack.

Always take some extra water and oil with you. Duct tape and wire, too. Some spark plugs (you should have a spark plug socket in your Sears set) and maybe a spare ignitions set: rotor, points, cap.

Some replacement fuses and light bulbs.

Guest Jknodell

Wow, great ideas! I originally didn't want that many tools, but if it all fits in the size of a briefcase it wouldn't be that bad at all.

Does anyone carry a battery jumper pack with them? I had generator trouble on a recent trip so I've considered it recently. I've seen switched to an alternator though.

I'm eager to get my hands dirty again! I didn't bother doing my own work on my last car, a dreadful 2001 Eclipse. Glad to be back to the basics!

You'd have to find a 6 volt jumper pack for the Chevy. The 6 volt system will be perfectly fine for your car if it's maintained and in tip-top shape.

I like to keep a plastic storage crate in the trunk with extra parts- belts, hoses etc. I also like to keep a spare fuel pump and water pump in the crate, because if you're away from home and one of those fails, odds are you wouldn't be able to find one. The crate does not take up much space, and the Sears tool kit RE mentioned should easily fit behind the spare tire.

A 1950 Chevrolet is about as simple an old car as you can find and is easily repairable on the road if necessary, but it is 60+ years old and parts won't be on every corner.

Bound to think a city the size of Montreal has an active old car community. Find out where they are and you'll have a whole crowd of new friends who will know who can be trusted to service your old Chevy.