Under the Hood

Guest Kingoftheroad

Guest Kingoftheroad

From the factory, were the under sides of the hood black or body color, on 63 - 65 Rivs ?? Black, right ??

Guest Rob J

I know the 64, and 65's were flat/satin black, but I believe 63's were body color. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the 63.

In 1963, the hood underside was always satin black.

At the beginning of production in 1963, the firewall was painted body color. Part way through they changed to painting it satin black also. They carried this satin black forward through 1964-65.

I have the date of the switch somewhere in my database.

If you have a '63 Riv and you have not given my a picture of your data plate for my database (not the VIN plate, just the plate over the brake booster) please do send one. After I see your plate I may follow up with you on details of your car.

Send them to 63Riv (at) comcast dot net

Thanks.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Thanks guys !

I'm fixiing to replace the hood insulation on my 64 & I wanted to make sure the under side of my hood was the right color before making any other changes...

If you bought one of the kits to replace the insulation, make sure that the cut-out in the one corner of one of the small pieces goes over the pulley/belts on the a/c compressor. About half of the cars I saw in Monterey had that cut-out in the wrong place. ;)

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
make sure that the cut-out in the one corner of one of the small pieces goes over the pulley/belts on the a/c compressor. ;)

Ed

That gap was one of the reasons I was replacing the insulation, it didn't dawn on me that it was there for a reason. Maybe I'll leave what I got in there then..:)

Thanks Ed, you saved me some money...