1938 90L - what does the side mount trim look like?

DBT

Hi - my 90L does not have side mount trim "buick" trim labels. I have looked at a few photos of other 90s and they dont seem to have the label as well. Is that right? The matter is slightly further complicated by the fact that mine is a Mclaughlin-Buick too...

$(KGrHqR,!jQE4ozqp,TLBOMM!cdoU!~~0_12.JPG

Hi - my 90L does not have side mount trim "buick" trim labels. I have looked at a few photos of other 90s and they dont seem to have the label as well. Is that right? The matter is slightly further complicated by the fact that mine is a Mclaughlin-Buick too...

$(KGrHqR,!jQE4ozqp,TLBOMM!cdoU!~~0_12.JPG

Those are for small series cars only not for Roadmasters and Limited which just have a half moon (a limiter more than half) stainless trim.

Guest RonJar
1936 Mclaughlin side mount trim not sure if they are the same as a 38.

This is what I have on my 38 Century.

RonJ

Looking at brochures it does seem that its just the chrome ring with no Buick badge accross the middle. Its hard to be sure from the picture though as the spare tyre sits quite low on the 90 so its good to get affirmation there isnt meant to be a BUICK badge there. Thanks everyone for the responses!

Guest 47jag

David,

My '38 Model 90L has the 'half moons' but I'm sure there are holes for the trims that you have shown. I'll check tomorrow in the daylight.

Art

Guest 47jag

David,

There are holes for half moons only. I have one of the trims that you showed but they are curved and the side cover is flat between the half moons. There is on puzzle tho' and it's a hole in the centre of the side panel. What goes in there?

I'm in the process of getting all the bit of mine gathered together so that I can sell it. I've come to the realisation that I'll never finish this car so I mightb as well get rid.

Art

Attached is a photo of a Roadmaster / Limited sidemount cover face. The "hole" in the center is for a pad to prevent the cover from rubbing the fender. No one currently reproduces these. Thanks to another member I learned that the 1" felt furniture slider things available at most home improvement stores and Target and Wal-Mart , etc are a good replacement. You have to be a pack so you'll have spares. They are self adhesive backed. The other BCA Member noted he used 2 on top of each other per side. I found rather thick ones and didn't feel the need to double up. I did not however find them in black (what I assumed the correct color should be). I happened to have some fabric color dye in black in a spray can so I used that to color the felt.

I have one side installed and this side is yet to be installed. The installed side seems to work fine, the cover is separated from the fender.

Regards

post-53096-14313906967_thumb.jpg

Brian,

Thanks and my cover looks exactly the same.

Regarding the felt in my ignorance I have used the very same product you referred to but placed them on the fender bay walls rather than the side mount itself. The effect seems to be the same with no rubbing or scratches now. I

I am missing the chrome centre strip though on the driver's side mount - which is proving hard to source!

Art,

Thanks for your note - Looks like its half moons only!

Quick snap of the old girl outside Raffles for a wedding - sidemount halfmoons on display!

post-53817-143139069851_thumb.jpg

...I'm in the process of getting all the bit of mine gathered together so that I can sell it. I've come to the realisation that I'll never finish this car so I might as well get rid.
Being RHD, Australia may be a market for it

Guest mmdowd

Hi 47 jag

I am restoring my 39 Buick sedan

I inherited a set of front guards with indents to take the spares but no covers

I also have no supports for the guards. There are no 6 wheel Buicks in my area to have a look at so I could fabricate them, just a photo of one of these supports would be very helpful.

I am told the 38 are different from the 39's. I was hoping in this bog and fiberglass world they could be modifid

I am in Australia, I take it you are in America ?

mike

post-81897-143139069935_thumb.jpg