My 59 Dodge won't start

Guest My59Dodge

Guest My59Dodge

Hey,

It's an original with 76K on the odometer. It can sit for months at a time. I think I drove it over Easter last. It turns over fine but just won't fire up...any ideas?

Just a thought. The modern fuels tend to evaporate in the carb bowls after a period of time. Either keep cranking or pour some gas in the carb.

This seems to be a common problem and if that's the case start the car every couple of weeks.

impala

Yes I have plenty of thoughts. If I was there I could have that motor eating out of my hand in a few hours. Unfortunately it would take just as long to type out every single thing that could be wrong with it.

First, check if it has spark. If not take off the distributor cap and clean the white fur off the points. Spray them with contact cleaner and drag a strip of white paper through them until it comes out clean. The paper works better if you double it over. If you do this you will not disturb the point gap or timing.

Before you do anything else make sure the gas is OK. If it smells like gas you are good. If it smells like old stinky varnish oh, oh, do not start the car until you get all that old gas out of there. It will gum up your motor so bad a safe cracker couldn't free it up.

If the gas is good and the spark is good try pouring a little gas down the carb and see if it starts. Just an egg cup full is all it takes.