freeze plugs

Joseph44

Hi Everyone: Question On the 1983 buick prk ave 5.0ci engine is it hard to change freeze plugs ? Do I have to remove oil filter and other items? Really I can see 3 plugs 2 on right bank 1 on left. I ask because I'm retired and where I live I use ramps and jack stands to work on my vehicals The last time I did this was many moons ago. I just want to know if I can do this job with what I discribed.There should be six I beleive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great wk/nd fellas!!!

My gut suspicion is that it'd be best to let somebody else to do this job AND on an overhead lift. This will NOT be a clean or easy job, especially laying on your back (basically). Once you get them out, then you'll want to flush the block passages with somewhat pressurized water . . . MORE mess. With the car on sturdy ramps or jackstands, I don't believe you can get your arms and hands in all of the positions they might need to be in to get this job done.

IF you need to, considering the "available funding" situation, get the credit card out and pay it off in bits each month. Even with interest, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Your "5.0" is an Olds 307. There are three freeze plugs on each side of the block. The driver's side plugs are difficult to access due to the FWD transmission. There are also smaller plugs on the exhaust gasket face of the heads.

33278990022_large.jpg

There are NO freeze plugs in the bellhousing area of an Olds block that seal the cooling jacket. The only rear freeze plug is the one that closes out the camshaft bore. This one does not need to be replaced.

olds_oil_rear.jpg